2013 Yukon Xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

ahulsey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't believe that, they discovered that one or more of the grounds was loose and tightened it. If there was something wrong with the injector harness, the motor would not have run right. Anyway, drive it a few more days and give us an update if you don't mind.
Update- lights came back on just took to another shop and in the first 5 minutes the mechanic said someone (which would have been the previous shop) but an extra screw in where they were hooking up the alternator which would prevent it from getting good ground. They said not sure if that’s the problem though. Currently still here. Hope u can understand what I’m saying as my mechanic terms are pretty illiterate. Also getting new motor Mount
I don't believe that, they discovered that one or more of the grounds was loose and tightened it. If there was something wrong with the injector harness, the motor would not have run right. Anyway, drive it a few more days and give us an update if you don't mind.

OP
OP
A

ahulsey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update- lights came back on just took to another shop and in the first 5 minutes the mechanic said someone (which would have been the previous shop) but an extra screw in where they were hooking up the alternator which would prevent it from getting good ground. They said not sure if that’s the problem though. Currently still here. Hope u can understand what I’m saying as my mechanic terms are pretty illiterate. Also getting new motor Mount right now. Will update if lights come back on. I’m losing my mind

OP
OP
A

ahulsey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another update- I’m livid!!!! So idk if I said this on my first post but before I ever took my truck to the first shop I looked up all my symptoms and everything led me to the throttle body. When I went to the shop the mechanic told me it was not the throttle body and I would be wasting that $ if I did it. That’s when he said it was my lifters. Then that’s when the battery and alternator needed to be replaced then to the faulty phone charger, then the fuel injector wires and everything else. Today I went to a new shop to have my motor Mount put on. New shop said they put an extra screw on alternator when they replaced that and that could be messing up the ground. They took care of that. I drove away and all dash lights popped on and car bogged out so bad I thought I was going to break down. I rushed back to new shop and when pulling in I heard a lifter tick. He even acknowledged that it was a lifter tick. Got under hood and suddenly said “throttle body”. . Replaced throttle body and have been driving all around and it’s fixed. So when problem first started I thought throttle body took throttle body to shop I bought at GM. He swore it wasn’t throttle body. Has charged me over $4,000 and I’ve been without my vehicle the majority of the time and the entire time it has been throttle body causing all this. I’m grateful but pissed. The first shop I thought they were so good and they were so nice and honestly I don’t feel it was on purpose and a misdiagnosis, but it’s sad I’ve drained my entire account before the problem came out.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update- I’m livid!!!! So idk if I said this on my first post but before I ever took my truck to the first shop I looked up all my symptoms and everything led me to the throttle body. When I went to the shop the mechanic told me it was not the throttle body and I would be wasting that $ if I did it. That’s when he said it was my lifters. Then that’s when the battery and alternator needed to be replaced then to the faulty phone charger, then the fuel injector wires and everything else. Today I went to a new shop to have my motor Mount put on. New shop said they put an extra screw on alternator when they replaced that and that could be messing up the ground. They took care of that. I drove away and all dash lights popped on and car bogged out so bad I thought I was going to break down. I rushed back to new shop and when pulling in I heard a lifter tick. He even acknowledged that it was a lifter tick. Got under hood and suddenly said “throttle body”. . Replaced throttle body and have been driving all around and it’s fixed. So when problem first started I thought throttle body took throttle body to shop I bought at GM. He swore it wasn’t throttle body. Has charged me over $4,000 and I’ve been without my vehicle the majority of the time and the entire time it has been throttle body causing all this. I’m grateful but pissed. The first shop I thought they were so good and they were so nice and honestly I don’t feel it was on purpose and a misdiagnosis, but it’s sad I’ve drained my entire account before the problem came out.
Sorry to hear this friend. This is what literally made me a mechanic. I kept taking my car from one "expert" to another only to spend hundreds of dollars with no improvement and often no car. My neighbor across the street asked if I was serious about getting the car fixed, I said, yes, he said to go to the store and buy a set of tools and I did. He took me under his wing and taught me how to fix things and make things better.

Even if you don't turn wrenches, being able to diagnose a problem quickly and accurately is essential these days. For that you have to have some kind of basic or even a bi-directional scan tool that pull codes from every computer on board and it's better when you have one that can interact with them.

Like many of us, you've learned an expensive lesson. Always trust your first instinct and get the codes and know what they mean. There are a lot of nice, lazy and deceitful people out there.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 to what James said. Sucks man. ☹️☹️☹️

So what happened with the lifter noise?

OP
OP
A

ahulsey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this friend. This is what literally made me a mechanic. I kept taking my car from one "expert" to another only to spend hundreds of dollars with no improvement and often no car. My neighbor across the street asked if I was serious about getting the car fixed, I said, yes, he said to go to the store and buy a set of tools and I did. He took me under his wing and taught me how to fix things and make things better.

Even if you don't turn wrenches, being able to diagnose a problem quickly and accurately is essential these days. For that you have to have some kind of basic or even a bi-directional scan tool that pull codes from every computer on board and it's better when you have one that can interact with them.

Like many of us, you've learned an expensive lesson. Always trust your first instinct and get the codes and know what they mean. There are a lot of nice, lazy and deceitful people out there.
Thank u so much for your help and listening to my rants. This is exhausted me. On the bright side. Truck is running great still with no more lights!! I’m beyond grateful and blessed for this. Although I’m upset I put my full trust in that shop and just kept paying them so much in my heart I believe it was an honest mistake and as u said a hard lesson learned.

OP
OP
A

ahulsey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+1 to what James said. Sucks man. ☹️☹️☹️

So what happened with the lifter noise?
Well I didn’t realize this…. So when my lifters did go out last year it was a louder tick. The ticking noise did sound exactly like a lifter tick which I’m sure is the reason it was misdiagnosed. It was a throttle body tick which now months later I’m hearing is a common thing when a throttle buddy goes out on a 5.3. It was throwing tons of random codes so in all honesty it was difficult to diagnose. I’m only irritated because I researched it as soon as it happened and every symptom pointed to throttle body. I purchased the throttle body at the dealership even and took it to the shop and the mechanic said don’t waste my money that’s not it. Then does lifters and a ton of other random things which cost me $4,000. Only to go to another shop over a month of no transportation to be told I was correct from the beginning and it was the throttle body

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I didn’t realize this…. So when my lifters did go out last year it was a louder tick. The ticking noise did sound exactly like a lifter tick which I’m sure is the reason it was misdiagnosed. It was a throttle body tick which now months later I’m hearing is a common thing when a throttle buddy goes out on a 5.3. It was throwing tons of random codes so in all honesty it was difficult to diagnose. I’m only irritated because I researched it as soon as it happened and every symptom pointed to throttle body. I purchased the throttle body at the dealership even and took it to the shop and the mechanic said don’t waste my money that’s not it. Then does lifters and a ton of other random things which cost me $4,000. Only to go to another shop over a month of no transportation to be told I was correct from the beginning and it was the throttle body
Never heard of a throttle body tick on one of these but I learn new things every day. I'm sorry it was misdiagnosed so badly and that it cost you $4000.

OP
OP
A

ahulsey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never heard of a throttle body tick on one of these but I learn new things every day. I'm sorry it was misdiagnosed so badly and that it cost you $4000.
I was completely unaware as well. Here’s a video I found of the sound on YouTube. I will say inside the vehicle and out actually it sounds just like a lifter tick, but not as loud in my situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts