2013 Tahoe LTZ vs 2007 Avalanche LT - Riding Performance Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Popeye304

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We recently purchased a 2013 Tahoe LTZ... relatively low mileage and it apparently well taken care of... We absolutely love this vehicle... I've had all kinds of cars and trucks, new and used, this vehicle is absolutely the finest I've ever owned. The Tahoe was for my wife... well I decided to get an Avalanche... the 2007 LT has less mileage... not the LTZ version but for me... nice enough. There are some things that need to be addressed and I think the first thing will be the suspension and possibly the steering. These two vehicles do not have the same driving characteristics. Has anybody here driven both the Tahoe and an Avalanche? When I address the steering and suspension... can the Avalanche ride as nicely as the Tahoe?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We recently purchased a 2013 Tahoe LTZ... relatively low mileage and it apparently well taken care of... We absolutely love this vehicle... I've had all kinds of cars and trucks, new and used, this vehicle is absolutely the finest I've ever owned. The Tahoe was for my wife... well I decided to get an Avalanche... the 2007 LT has less mileage... not the LTZ version but for me... nice enough. There are some things that need to be addressed and I think the first thing will be the suspension and possibly the steering. These two vehicles do not have the same driving characteristics. Has anybody here driven both the Tahoe and an Avalanche? When I address the steering and suspension... can the Avalanche ride as nicely as the Tahoe?

For one, the Avalanche has the wheelbase of the Suburban, so it's longer and heavier than the Tahoe.

Identifying what suspensions your vehicles have would be the first step. I don't bother memorizing them, but @swathdiver seems to have this info in his back pocket, if not in his head! Aside from the flagship LTZ likely having Chevrolet's most premium suspension, I'd imagine the more truck-like Avalanche, especially in LT trim, to be more similar to the Silverado, at least with the front struts. You might (or not?) sacrifice some load capacity, but you could swap in softer-riding struts, shocks and springs. I'm sure the Tahoe has the electromechanically-variable struts (AutoRide) and the Avalanche has "standard" struts and likely firmer springs. Not sure about the steering differences between the two. I think someone mentioned here recently that the short body SUVs have a quicker steering ratio than the long bodies do.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Age, mileage, tires and original equipment all have a big impact on ride quality. First, let's find out what you have. In the glove box of each truck, there's an RPO sheet. You can contact the GM heritage center with your VINs and they will send you an email decoding each VIN. We here of course can do that too, but let's focus on your "G" and "Z" codes. Post them up when you can. I reckon that your Tahoe will have the Z55 with G69 and the Avalanche will be ZW7 or Z71. What size wheels and tires do they each have and the brand of tire?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Age, mileage, tires and original equipment all have a big impact on ride quality. First, let's find out what you have. In the glove box of each truck, there's an RPO sheet. You can contact the GM heritage center with your VINs and they will send you an email decoding each VIN. We here of course can do that too, but let's focus on your "G" and "Z" codes. Post them up when you can. I reckon that your Tahoe will have the Z55 with G69 and the Avalanche will be ZW7 or Z71. What size wheels and tires do they each have and the brand of tire?

Well, I said "RPO" codes in my head but never spelled it out. :facepalm:

OP
OP
P

Popeye304

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I said "RPO" codes in my head but never spelled it out. :facepalm:
The 2007 Avalanche's VIN starts with 3GNEC12J57Gxxxxxx, the Tahoe 1GNSCCE05DRxxxxxx.

The only problem with the Tahoe is it needs a new receiver but of course... chip shortage. The wife needs her CarPlay!

The Avalanche, needs shocks... getting that done after Christmas. I do realize that the Avalanche is much heavier and has a longer wheelbase but, she absolutely needs shocks! Just slowly getting in and out of my driveway feels like a destroy in heavy seas... retired Navy guy here. :) I'm not sure using the Tahoe's part numbers is the correct solution... what should I get? Factory replacements? Is there something the Avalanche owners like better?

SUMTOY2

Reaction score
We own an 07 z71 avalanche and a 08 tahoe. Big difference, Is the Tahoe rides way nicer than the avalanche. The avalanche belongs to the wife she uses it for towing her horse trailer But I do see a difference between the 2 As for the avalanche I can't stand it for for 1 I'm 6' 2 and the leg room in the avalanche is terrible So even if it road nicely I would still be uncomfortable LOL! We change shocks struts even the tires but nothing really made a difference on the avalanche. Unfortunately it's just like writing in and stearing a tank.
There's a lot of great advice on this website hope you can figure out how to make it ride The way you want it To.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i drove a 2010 avalanche for 5 years, put 130xxx miles on it. Very solid truck.... it did ride nice, but it was still a truck. 20" wheels, i had all season touring tires, so very quiet, nice big sidewall. i recently purchased a 2013 GMC Yukon SLT. It floats, i know it needs suspension work due to age, but on the highway75-80 mph. Its as quiet as church. I did have air helper springs in the back for the AV, i would sometimes have to haul some cargo. I loved that truck. I'm hoping i will love the yukon as much. I think i will, I am going to put a full stereo in with center console sub upgrade, along with all the speakers i'm upgrading. i only did a sub in the AV, but it bumped good enough. Good luck!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2007 Avalanche's VIN starts with 3GNEC12J57Gxxxxxx, the Tahoe 1GNSCCE05DRxxxxxx.

The only problem with the Tahoe is it needs a new receiver but of course... chip shortage. The wife needs her CarPlay!

The Avalanche, needs shocks... getting that done after Christmas. I do realize that the Avalanche is much heavier and has a longer wheelbase but, she absolutely needs shocks! Just slowly getting in and out of my driveway feels like a destroy in heavy seas... retired Navy guy here. :) I'm not sure using the Tahoe's part numbers is the correct solution... what should I get? Factory replacements? Is there something the Avalanche owners like better?
Where ya been Popeye, still at sea?