2013 LT - PCV change (i.e. valve cover) engine code LMG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All.

115k on my Tahoe. At the 100k noticed a bit of oil leak around valve cover and driver side plugs were black. Getting a bit worse on oil presence and some oil consumption, concerns in last oil change, although “within GM specs.” Truck still runs great.

The PCV might be misbehaving causing this leak. Can this (the pcv) be cleaned while the valve cover is off or should the valve covers just be completely replaced to get the fresh pcv? I will do hose too. Note, as far as I can tell in TSB, this truck should have the new ports. I think it said cutoff was 2011 build for the old valve cover PCV port ones.

will attempt both sides.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

115k on my Tahoe. At the 100k noticed a bit of oil leak around valve cover and driver side plugs were black. Getting a bit worse on oil presence and some oil consumption, concerns in last oil change, although “within GM specs.” Truck still runs great.

The PCV might be misbehaving causing this leak. Can this (the pcv) be cleaned while the valve cover is off or should the valve covers just be completely replaced to get the fresh pcv? I will do hose too. Note, as far as I can tell in TSB, this truck should have the new ports. I think it said cutoff was 2011 build for the old valve cover PCV port ones.

will attempt both sides.

The PCV is just a fixed orifice, so no valve or check ball to fail. I clean the whole cover, inside and out, with engine degreaser and plastic scrub brush, hose it off, repeat a time or three, then use brake cleaner for the PCV port. Blow it out with the air compressor and repeat until the brake cleaner blowing out is clear.

Take note that the oil pressure sensor is at that rear, driver side corner. It can leak and the oil can run along the edge of the valve cover, making it look like the cover gasket is leaking.

Yes, you should have the updated design. If you haven't already- GET A CATCH CAN!

Last edited:

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the revised drivers side valve cover and catch can. When I installed my catch can I also ran an additional PCV valve inline between the valve cover and catch can.

With this set up I have 0 oil consumption issues. BUT, I have also completely deleted the AFM and VVT.

OP
OP
DrNick

DrNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The PCV is just a fixed orifice, so no valve or check ball to fail. I clean the whole cover, inside and out, with engine degreaser and plastic scrub brush, hose it off, repeat a time or three, then use brake cleaner for the PCV port. Blow it out with the air compressor and repeat until the brake cleaner blowing out is clear.

Take note that the oil pressure sensor is at that rear, driver side corner. It can leak and the oil can run along the edge of the valve cover, making it look like the cover gasket is leaking.

Yes, you should have the updated design. If you haven't already- GET A CATCH CAN!

Thanks! Great info. And I realized late night that I posted this in the wrong area (00-06) but you are all so helpful. I’m out of degreaser so I will just grab some with the new gaskets. I can Inspect the sensor too.

What’s your recommendation on catch can? Brand, type, are there multiple sizes preferred for Tahoe’s?

OP
OP
DrNick

DrNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the revised drivers side valve cover and catch can. When I installed my catch can I also ran an additional PCV valve inline between the valve cover and catch can.

With this set up I have 0 oil consumption issues. BUT, I have also completely deleted the AFM and VVT.

Good idea 1bad

should I also check out my throttle body and intake? I’m sure it’s nasty now too

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah a full/complete clean of the throttle body never hurts.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you follow the line closest to the master cylinder, you'll see the gray inline PCV I have added.

It's between the valve cover and catch can. It's been a rather effective addition. When I did my heads and cam, the intake was clean aka not filled with oil.

IMG_20201215_150134~2.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Great info. And I realized late night that I posted this in the wrong area (00-06) but you are all so helpful. I’m out of degreaser so I will just grab some with the new gaskets. I can Inspect the sensor too.

What’s your recommendation on catch can? Brand, type, are there multiple sizes preferred for Tahoe’s?

I'm a fan of the Super Tech degreaser and brake cleaner from Walmart- cheap but effective!

For the price, the ~$20 ones on Amazon can't be beat. If it doesn't have it, add a stainless steel scrub pad to it. Some on Amazon are coming with one now. I also recommend a 1/4-turn drain valve- something else a few are now coming with. Don't get one with a breather filter on it, the dipstick is useless and don't bother with the sight tube ones, either. Keep it simple and cheap cuz they all do the same unless they're specific for boost or just a really crappy design. The only factors I'd really look at are ease of draining and capacity. If your engine passes a lot of oil, you'll either be draining a small one often or a larger one less often. You don't wanna have to unscrew the reservoir every time to drain it, so the valve is a huge convenience.

I'm running a catchcans.com one only because I bought it years before my Tahoe for another project. It's a fine piece, but doesn't do anything more than than those a quarter of its price do. I added the scrub pad to it as well. I put this one on my brother's truck over 1.5 years ago: https://www.amazon.com/PQYRACING-Co...keywords=catch+can&qid=1608483765&sr=8-5&th=1

Scrub pad:

0005114125444_1_A1C1_1200.png

Check back when you collect your materials and we'll give you details on where to put the scrub pad, mounting of the can, etc.

OP
OP
DrNick

DrNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Super Tech degreaser and brake cleaner from Walmart- cheap but effective!

For the price, the ~$20 ones on Amazon can't be beat. If it doesn't have it, add a stainless steel scrub pad to it. Some on Amazon are coming with one now. I also recommend a 1/4-turn drain valve- something else a few are now coming with. Don't get one with a breather filter on it, the dipstick is useless and don't bother with the sight tube ones, either. Keep it simple and cheap cuz they all do the same unless they're specific for boost or just a really crappy design. The only factors I'd really look at are ease of draining and capacity. If your engine passes a lot of oil, you'll either be draining a small one often or a larger one less often. You don't wanna have to unscrew the reservoir every time to drain it, so the valve is a huge convenience.

I'm running a catchcans.com one only because I bought it years before my Tahoe for another project. It's a fine piece, but doesn't do anything more than than those a quarter of its price do. I added the scrub pad to it as well. I put this one on my brother's truck over 1.5 years ago: https://www.amazon.com/PQYRACING-Compact-Baffled-2-Port-Outlet/dp/B07ZCSZR2R/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=catch+can&qid=1608483765&sr=8-5&th=1

Scrub pad:

0005114125444_1_A1C1_1200.png

Check back when you collect your materials and we'll give you details on where to put the scrub pad, mounting of the can, etc.

thanks again. The catch can will be post Christmas activity- but I did get both gaskets changes. Overall took from 11-5pm, first time and fighting a migraine. No major issues, mine didn’t come off as seen on TV, had to wrangle and tap them a bit to free up. Then Found out my 8mm socket did not match my drive size for my torque wrench- so I had to wait on a buddy to deliver his. If I were to do it again- the cleaning is a $$&&:. I would just buy new gaskets + VCs. Maybe I was just paranoid on getting stuff clean but you really can’t in that hidden void. The degreaser didn’t really work, but brake cleaner (green can non chlorinated) and carb cleaner did! No real gunk and couldn’t actually tell if things were clogged.

So far no leaks. Pics below of rockers. Oil sitting above cylinder 7 a lot, cylinder 8 maybe 1/2 as much.

does the hose need to be changed to accommodate the catch can? Looks as if they are rubber flex?

7EBF1805-C2B4-4B59-B589-EF3E8DD408CE.jpeg 0FD48AE2-2048-44AA-8603-F8547D6E7770.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by those pics, I'd say you use synthetic oil. I'd also venture to guess that your valve covers probably didn't have anything to be cleaned off, which is likely why the degreaser didn't work. It's mainly for oil and grease. The amber oil staining is expected and harmless but will come off with the more harsh cleaners.

There's a bunch of ways you can connect the catch can. Some remove the factory pipe and run standard flexible hoses to the nipples on the valve cover and intake manifold. Some cut the factory pipe and slip flexible hoses over them. Some do a combination of each. The only wrong way to do it is if you connect it to the wrong nipples or if your hoses or connections leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n