PCV, or not to PCV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It improves the function of the catch can. I forget the exact amounts, but I consistently drained the same amount of oil from the can at each oil change. After adding the scrub pad, I've consistently drained more, like 1-1.5 ounces more.
Do you just place it in the bottom of the can?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you just place it in the bottom of the can?

Check this one out. This is the basic design that does what is needed and without the unnecessary/useless extras: https://a.co/d/23Z9LSZ

Referencing this pic:

711yZI-DpiL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The scrub pad would go on that baffle- the round aluminum plate with all the holes in it. So, it's like the pad would be sitting on a shelf. These things work by coalescence. The oil droplets are tiny so they can ride the PCV air stream. When that oily air hits the bronze filter, the tiny oil droplets are forced to collide and stick to each other. Then they are too big and heavy to ride the air stream, so they drip down through the bronze filter. They'd then drop down onto that baffle then, ultimately, down into the bottom of the reservoir. Adding that scrub pad after the bronze filter reduces the "free air time" and keeps the droplets having to travel through media, ensuring they stay stuck together. The air finds its way around and through both medias but the oil gets stuck and just falls down into the reservoir.

You can't have a breather filter on our engines and a dipstick is mostly pointless in these. This can does what you need and has an easy drain on the bottom- all for $20. It doesn't have a sharp-looking CNC-machined company logo, though.

The only downside is you have to make your own mounting bracket. The two I've installed, one on my brother's truck and one on a client's truck, I just used a piece of 1/8 thick x 1" flat stock, about 8" long. They were located on the side of the alternator just like my catchcans.com one and that J&L one. I think that's about the best location- easy access and plenty of space underneath to put a drain cup.

If yours passes a lot of oil between oil changes, here's one with twice the capacity: https://a.co/d/gc5CpLu

This is a 3-pack of the stainless scrubber pads: https://a.co/d/j6a7TPu

Last edited:

Smooth_Rider

Reaction score
For how inexpensive they are, the catch cans are a no brainer...and once you see the gunk you empty outta there, you'll be glad you're not sending it back through your intake!

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this one out. This is the basic design that does what is needed and without the unnecessary/useless extras: https://a.co/d/23Z9LSZ

Referencing this pic:

View attachment 409955

The scrub pad would go on that baffle- the round aluminum plate with all the holes in it. So, it's like the pad would be sitting on a shelf. These things work by coalescence. The oil droplets are tiny so they can ride the PCV air stream. When that oily air hits the bronze filter, the tiny oil droplets are forced to collide and stick to each other. Then they are too big and heavy to ride the air stream, so they drip down through the bronze filter. They'd then drop down onto that baffle then, ultimately, down into the bottom of the reservoir. Adding that scrub pad after the bronze filter reduces the "free air time" and keeps the droplets having to travel through media, ensuring they stay stuck together. The air finds its way around and through both medias but the oil gets stuck and just falls down into the reservoir.

You can't have a breather filter on our engines and a dipstick is mostly pointless in these. This can does what you need and has an easy drain on the bottom- all for $20. It doesn't have a sharp-looking CNC-machined company logo, though.

The only downside is you have to make your own mounting bracket. The two I've installed, one on my brother's truck and one on a client's truck, I just used a piece of 1/8 thick x 1" flat stock, about 8" long. They were located on the side of the alternator just like my catchcans.com one and that J&L one. I think that's about the best location- easy access and plenty of space underneath to put a drain cup.

If yours passes a lot of oil between oil changes, here's one with twice the capacity: https://a.co/d/gc5CpLu

This is a 3-pack of the stainless scrubber pads: https://a.co/d/j6a7TPu
Awesome! Thanks for the details and links!!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a JLT oil catch can, and I'm very happy with it. I capture just under 1 ounce of oil every 1000 miles.

Oil Catch Can Installed2.jpg

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@gmartin1215 I think another benifit of the catch can is it will give you an idea if you are burning oil. If your oil is low and the catch can only has a little oil in it... well the oil is going somewhere

Hodgeee

Reaction score
I got a 13, put in an expensive catch can with special oil seperator, after 5000 miles, it has a very insignificant film, thought it was dry. Now my truck has the oil consumption fixes on it as all 2012 and later have. Mine doesnt burn any oil from checking the level.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a JLT oil catch can, and I'm very happy with it. I capture just under 1 ounce of oil every 1000 miles.

View attachment 409981
Hi Joseph! I got the same catch that you have in your picture.
The longer line that goes from my rocker cover to the can is going into the end where there is a screen inside. Is yours the same way? Just checking to make sure mine did not get installed in the reverse order; the hoses were already attached to the can coming out of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel