2012 Yukon/Yet another camper question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correctly set up weight dist hitch.. New fluids and filters....
Watch your trans temp gauge. Make sure your trans is serviced recently.
You'll be just fine.
I tow 9000lb camper.. I'm very particular. It's fine -but i'm modified for it.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
so going to bring back an old thread. but we decided to wait on buying the camper in question and i got an email stating the place that we were looking at put the camper (grand design transcend xplor 235bh) $13k cheaper then we were looking at 5 months ago. so we ended up buying it this weekend.

my question is is there anything i should do to "prepare" for towing this thing since it is bigger then the one we traded in? for context we had a 2021 Forest River salem fsx 179dbk (22ft bumper to ball, 7.5ft wide and weighs approx. 4500lbs loaded) the new on is 26ft 4in long, 8ft wide and weighs approx. 7000lbs loaded.

i have a weight distribution hitch (andersen weight distribution hitch and aftermarket brake controller.

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so going to bring back an old thread. but we decided to wait on buying the camper in question and i got an email stating the place that we were looking at put the camper (grand design transcend xplor 235bh) $13k cheaper then we were looking at 5 months ago. so we ended up buying it this weekend.

my question is is there anything i should do to "prepare" for towing this thing since it is bigger then the one we traded in? for context we had a 2021 Forest River salem fsx 179dbk (22ft bumper to ball, 7.5ft wide and weighs approx. 4500lbs loaded) the new on is 26ft 4in long, 8ft wide and weighs approx. 7000lbs loaded.

i have a weight distribution hitch (andersen weight distribution hitch and aftermarket brake controller.

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!
Good news! It's indeed a great time to buy a camper. Prices are falling through the floor and inventory is high. Your Yukon will be fine with that camper with the stock radiator and coolers, provided they're all in good shape. How many miles on it now? As a radiator ages, for example, passages will slowly clog and its efficiency drops. If all that's good, I would take a good look at the rear air shocks. Check the rubber air bladders for cracks and any sign of leakage. Make sure the compressor runs its self-check successfully after you start the engine.

Other than that, the only thing that will give you trouble in the months ahead is the torque converter on the transmission. They're good for anywhere between 120K and 170K +- depending on how they're driven. It's the weakest link in the whole drivetrain. I shelled out $1400 and had a billet TC with a stronger lockup clutch put in mine shortly after I bought the camper we have now.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
well good news for both of those issues then, as when i bought the yukon in January the torque converter was replaced (at the gm dealer i bought it from), the rear shocks and compressor were replaced, the engine was replaced with a jasper unit (3yrs/100k warranty), the trans lines, oil lines, motor mounts, spark plugs/wires were all replaced.

i guess the only issue im worried about is the coolant temps but everything ive read is its normal for the coolant temp to climb to 220-235 when going up steep grades which i did have the temp gauge climb to about 220ish but never got higher and came back down on its own once i got done climbing the grade.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the ‘12 Denali. I remember you we’re looking at a ‘09 back in Jan. Nice move getting a dealer service / prep’d truck.

New motor, new TC, a warranty as well as the first year of
electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist. You’ve got the updated HDD Navi with USB port, hard drive, Live radio pause/ record, XM Weather & Traffic.

You can add the module from Crutchfield for integrated BT streaming music now. If you download the gas buddy app you can plan a route to run e85 100 octane for 1/2 price fill ups.

Towing on the 20’s with the meatier tires, autoride and rear bags is the best ride your ever going to find. You’ll love pulling on grades with e85. Do your research for the tow set up and look into a drop hitch for fine tuning the level on the trailer. You did good. Did you truck come equipped with the integrated brake controller?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
That is the hitch/weight distribution setup I have. It was bought when we got our current camper and it’s extremely light and works rather well. And the Yukon does not have the factory brake controller unfortunately

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan