2022 Yukon XL V8 vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cop35758

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Currently in the market for a 2022 Yukon XL before baby #3 arrives in June. We are eyeing the SLT with the Premium package or possibly Denali with one of the lower packages. We plan in the next couple of years to purchase a camper to pull behind. Our biggest question mark is going the V8 route or diesel. I could see us maybe camping once a month or so eventually. My wife is most concerned about diesel prices as she will be using it also as her daily driver to take kids back and forth to school. Also, the dealerships around here have told us the max trailer package is still unavailable which is a bummer. Any advice is appreciated!

SCUCREW08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, baby #3 at the end of March. I ended up going with the v8 since a majority of the driving is going to be around town (super short trips). I worry that the diesel won't have much time to warm up on these short spurt drives and it'll clog the diesel filter. (were talking a bunch of roughly 5-10 minute drives). Sure, the Diesel gets better gas mileage, but if the maintenance costs are going to be higher due to clogged filters, doesn't make much sense. For towing, I actually believe the v8 has a higher tow rating (although someone may correct me on this). Premium gas vs. Diesel is likely going to be a wash cost wise (again though, better gas mileage in the latter).

If you haven't ordered your vehicle yet... do it now... I put my order in at the beginning of December and I'm not holding my breath to get the truck before the summer.

OP
OP
C

Cop35758

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, baby #3 at the end of March. I ended up going with the v8 since a majority of the driving is going to be around town (super short trips). I worry that the diesel won't have much time to warm up on these short spurt drives and it'll clog the diesel filter. (were talking a bunch of roughly 5-10 minute drives). Sure, the Diesel gets better gas mileage, but if the maintenance costs are going to be higher due to clogged filters, doesn't make much sense. For towing, I actually believe the v8 has a higher tow rating (although someone may correct me on this). Premium gas vs. Diesel is likely going to be a wash cost wise (again though, better gas mileage in the latter).

If you haven't ordered your vehicle yet... do it now... I put my order in at the beginning of December and I'm not holding my breath to get the truck before the summer.
Thanks for the quick response! Is premium gas suggested for both versions of the V8?

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No premium is required only on the 6.2. The 5.3 recommends 87 or RUL.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The numbers always prove that the diesel is a better value. Premium is always at least $.40 higher than diesel and even more in other places. This ratio won’t change. The real question is whether you rack up any miles or not. If you don’t, I‘d probably would stick with the 5.3…. But if you run any miles at all that diesel is the only thing that makes reasonable sense. Not to mention we don’t know whether this lifter issue Will Ever end….

OP
OP
C

Cop35758

Reaction score
The numbers always prove that the diesel is a better value. Premium is always at least $.40 higher than diesel and even more in other places. This ratio won’t change. The real question is whether you rack up any miles or not. If you don’t, I‘d probably would stick with the 5.3…. But if you run any miles at all that diesel is the only thing that makes reasonable sense. Not to mention we don’t know whether this lifter issue Will Ever end….
On a weekly basis, it's just 5-10 miles a day usually going back and forth to the kid's school. Longer trips out of town may take place every other month or so.

Does anyone know with the Max Trailer package will be off constraint?

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best gas engine I ever owned was a 3.8 V6 in a Grand Prix. The main reason was the low end torque. Lean you back in the seat even at half throttle, much like a diesel. A totally better experience and worth the extra cost.

Yarosuav

Reaction score
Hey, I currently have a 22 Black with teak interior. It’s a gas engine and we love it but are looking for a short one. Wife hates the size and we don’t need a big one. It’s got every option minus tvs. Air ride and all. I’m selling it for 95k, stickered at 87,200. I paid a small mark up on it so I’m trying to not lose money. 931-241-2497

Are you insane? Do you seriously think anybody will bite on you selling a pre-owned vehicle for $95K, when new one stickers for $87K???? You’re pathetic…

Plus you gloat in other posts how you got your Denali at $300 over invoice… So which is it?

Pathetic…

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were a GM dealer for 33 years and I can promise you we were lied to by customers more than the other way around. Some of the most deceptive car ads I saw were in the classifieds auto section of the newspaper by individuals.

Many American's are as greedy as can be which lessens my hope of being someday free from price gouging and foreign manufactures if we start producing our own goods. Toilet paper is an all time classic example. End of rant.

OP
OP
C

Cop35758

Reaction score
If I plan on pulling a camper once a month, think it would be worth it? Seems like you get several hundred pounds extra in towing capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts