2022 Yukon XL V8 vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it depends on how far. If you’re only going 30 miles. No it’s not worth it ….if you’re going to 150 miles or more it might make sense. I didn’t buy mine at all for towing, I bought it because we take two or three trips a year that are three or 4000 miles apiece. That’s where the diesel really shines in both range and mileage. The rest of its life is spent as a grocery getter and getting the entire family around town.
Not a whimper of a problem out of the Duramax yet….

Dez78n

Reaction score
I have a 21 Diesel XL and it's the family car and what I drive daily. Kids are currently in wrestling so we've been going to tournaments that are 2-3 hrs a way most weekends. It gets fantasitc mpg. And during the recent snow we had last week, my husband says it got around betther than his 2500 HD truck.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All valid points on this tread. You can’t argue the mpg of the diesel vs the V8’s.

I’ve taken my RST 5.3 on business trips roughly about 150 miles each way which would leave me with 3/4 1/2 maybe a bit better but im sure the diesel would give way better mpg. The 6.2 would be alot worse than the 5.3.

Now, I didnt get my 5.3 for fuel efficiency, i got it due to the direction the manufacturers are going and want one of the last true V8’s. Plus you cant put a good sounding exhaust on a diesel so…lol. I may lean toward the electric vehicles one day not just ready yet but for sure If i have any issues with my current rig, wont look elsewhere than getting into another but possibly a diesel tho.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The numbers always prove that the diesel is a better value. Premium is always at least $.40 higher than diesel and even more in other places. This ratio won’t change. The real question is whether you rack up any miles or not. If you don’t, I‘d probably would stick with the 5.3…. But if you run any miles at all that diesel is the only thing that makes reasonable sense. Not to mention we don’t know whether this lifter issue Will Ever end….
Here, Premium is almost always less than Diesel and the upcharge for Premium is rarely more than 10% over regular, usually less than 10%.

I think if people shop around they can get the difference down to maybe +5% for Diesel over Premium, but if you just pull off the highway it might be as much as 10% or more higher for Diesel.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been from the Midwest to Texas and up the east coast and I've never seen premium 10% over RUL. Currently where we are in SWFL, RUL is 3.45, Diesel is 3.79 and premium is 4.35... This is pretty typical most places we are. It's a little skewed on interstates and truck stops, but if you drive 1 mile inland at exits and stay away from Love's or Flying J...Prices fall right back in line with what I've stated above...

Buffalown

Reaction score
WNY here regular unleaded is $3.59, premium is $4.04 and diesel is $4.02. I keep going back and forth with the 5.3 V8 and the diesel engine (Lord knows i've had plenty of time to keep going back and forth as the wait for the order to be picked up continues)

DenaliDrew

Reaction score
I have the '21 Denali XL with the diesel and I love it. It's averaged 21 mpg since new with 13k on the clock, mostly city driving. On the highway, I can get 26 or 27 mpg and a good 650 - 700 miles of cruising range. The thing is super quiet an pulls like a tank off the line. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Just a jug of DEF every 3,000 miles or so. Diesel was 40 cents a gallon cheaper here in CO until just recently. If you want one, I'd suggest buying one now before they are outlawed.

fr8bil

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Currently in the market for a 2022 Yukon XL before baby #3 arrives in June. We are eyeing the SLT with the Premium package or possibly Denali with one of the lower packages. We plan in the next couple of years to purchase a camper to pull behind. Our biggest question mark is going the V8 route or diesel. I could see us maybe camping once a month or so eventually. My wife is most concerned about diesel prices as she will be using it also as her daily driver to take kids back and forth to school. Also, the dealerships around here have told us the max trailer package is still unavailable which is a bummer. Any advice is appreciated!
Around my neck of the Woods, Diesel runs $0.25 less per gallon than Premium which is the required fuel in the 6.2. True, you have to add some DEF occasionally with the diesel but that is not pricey. If you wind up with the Diesel, run the highest quality Oil you can buy....like Amsoil's Synthetic Diesel SAE 0-W20 Oil made just for Diesel/turbocharged engines.....it will pay you back in the long run.

fr8bil

Reaction score
I have the '21 Denali XL with the diesel and I love it. It's averaged 21 mpg since new with 13k on the clock, mostly city driving. On the highway, I can get 26 or 27 mpg and a good 650 - 700 miles of cruising range. The thing is super quiet an pulls like a tank off the line. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Just a jug of DEF every 3,000 miles or so. Diesel was 40 cents a gallon cheaper here in CO until just recently. If you want one, I'd suggest buying one now before they are outlawed.
Wow ! 21 mpg in the City with the XL is awesome. Thanks for posting ! Yeah, torque is KING !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE