2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I think you would be better served having it tuned locally or going the HPTUNERS route. I’m sure Blackbear will fine but dealing with that back and forth email stuff sucks. Trying to make sure you hit all the cells while data logging is hard when you can’t see it on a laptop like you can with HPTUNERS. But I will say, jumping in on tuning when you have no idea gets frustrating and is a huge learning curve. Start watching videos now and I can look in their tune repository to see if someone downloaded a tune that will at least get you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you would be better served having it tuned locally or going the HPTUNERS route. I’m sure Blackbear will fine but dealing with that back and forth email stuff sucks. Trying to make sure you hit all the cells while data logging is hard when you can’t see it on a laptop like you can with HPTUNERS. But I will say, jumping in on tuning when you have no idea gets frustrating and is a huge learning curve. Start watching videos now and I can look in their tune repository to see if someone downloaded a tune that will at least get you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input and for looking in their database, Jim.

One of the things I'm not crazy about with the Black Bear Autocal system is that I'm paying almost $700 for the device, which includes all of the tunes I'll need for one vehicle. And then to use that device on another vehicle, I have to pay the BB tuning fee again (albeit it's less cost than the initial device purchase) because BB controls the licensing of the Autocal device for each vehicle, even though the device is technically capable of being used on up to 600 vehicles. I'm wondering if a more open platform where I can use it on as many vehicles as I like without any additional costs, as long as I can do the tuning work, might be a better choice for me long-term.

I'll reach out to Tunedbyfrost also.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you still need to purchase additional credits to tune additional vehicles@ 49.99/ea. there is a threshold where you can tune as many of a certain type of vehicle after youve purchased enough credits but prob not realistic for diy user

with hptuners* i think efilive uses a similar setup

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you still need to purchase additional credits to tune additional vehicles@ 49.99/ea. there is a threshold where you can tune as many of a certain type of vehicle after youve purchased enough credits but prob not realistic for diy user

with hptuners* i think efilive uses a similar setup
Thanks for that, Randy. I think with EFI Live, they set it up so that the tuning shop has to be the one to enable the tool for each VIN. And if I'm understanding it right, BB will only do it for you when they're paid the full tune fee, which is much more than $50. I will ask them to be sure.

In other news, it looks like Steve of tunedbyfrost.com is actually local to me here in Richmond. I reached out to him by email a few moments ago to see if I can either work with him locally or if he can recommend a good local tuning shop.

Update #2: It gets even better. In the auto response email I got from Steve, he says that he has a new shop called EFI Performance for doing performance and tuning work. Bonus! I'll reach out to them today and report back what I learn.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea something like that the autocals are all subs to a tuner. the autocal couldnt really do anything but log and load tunes. you could free it from one tuner but would need to link it to another to make any changes.

hptuners and efilive are pretty similar in layouts, table descrips and stuff like that. hptuners just seemed to supprort gas vehicles more. and you can pick up an older interface pretty cheap 2-300 with credits usually still on them.

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks amazing! Looking forward to this build and your feedback. I’m moving the same direction with Denali.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for the new cam to arrive for the '12 Denali, I decided to use the Autocal v3 I bought from Black Bear to put a new tune on the '07. The tool is easy to use for the purpose. Sent the files into BB last week, hoping to receive the new tune sometime soon. Had hoped for a faster turnaround, but will be patient. The problem with an unlimited tune pricing model is that eventually you become a victim of your own success as a service provider. Lol.

I can see owning an HP Tuners unit in the future, and investing in the learning curve. Having to wait is not in my nature. Steve Frost got back to me last week also, so will use his local shop here in Richmond for the post cam swap tune on the '12.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks amazing! Looking forward to this build and your feedback. I’m moving the same direction with Denali.
Sweet! I'll keep sharing my notes and will look forward to tracking your progress, too!

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard from Roger Vinci this morning that the cam and its associated parts are on the way. I have everything else I'll need as well, so will likely begin the work this weekend.

I also just got word from Justin at Black Bear that he's working on the tune for my other Denali today, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that performs with just a tune.

Update: Installed the BB tune on the '07 and it's a nice upgrade. Easy to install with the Autocal v3 also. I especially like the shift behavior better than stock. Shifts happen where they should for best drivability, and are noticeably more crisp but not harsh. And, getting on the throttle feels more powerful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts