2012 Yukon Denali - 6.2 lifter or something else? [Advice/How to Proceed]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 is an afm lifter.

there's things I would do. but at this point just do the delete kit and be done with it.

me, I'd pull the valve cover off, do a compression check. if failed see which valve isn't opening. try to release that lifter, if it will. block off oil supply to it, clip the gasket to avoid back filling oil releasing it. disable in the tune. put back together and drive it. if any thing happens again, full delete.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back!! OP here.........The vehicle has been at the mechanic's shop for 1 month (he was out of the country and has a ton of other vehicles); however, VERY HONEST.

SHORT STORY LONG - He has driven the vehicle a total of 34 miles and the following is his diagnosis:

The problem/issue is INTERMINENT AND NOT 100% CONFIRMED:

The Following facts
ARE Confirmed:

-#1 Cylinder is the issue and has not had any problems in 34 consecutive miles
- Has Ignition, fuel, but CAN'T CONFIRM compression on Cylinder #1 as the engine needs to be turned off to do so

The good news is (as of right now) the lifter is not stuck and he'd prefer to not throw my money until he can confirm that cylinder 1 has compression issues (again he can't prove that right now).

Questions to the Gurus: How to proceed?

I'm thinking AFM delete/BBP tune/Rock on?

Is this the best course of action? If so, can I order a BBP tune and keep going or should I run another trap?

The sequence of events has me a bit confused (and working alot) LOL!!

@Geotrash @swathdiver @Dustin Jackson

As always thanks for all your contributions!!
I’m biased because I took the dod delete path. Black bear can send you a startup tune even without data logging first, but I agree with @Dustin Jackson that running the protocol first with the blackbear device to get the logs is a better next step if you can afford the time. Then do the delete and move on.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
@Pointer 21 Start with the BBP tune because you'll need it regardless. Also you'll want the motor running so you can pull your factory tune, and then once you're tuned you can begin to gather your parts and continue to enjoy driving it until it fails or until you can have planned downtime.

#1 is an afm lifter.

there's things I would do. but at this point just do the delete kit and be done with it.

me, I'd pull the valve cover off, do a compression check. if failed see which valve isn't opening. try to release that lifter, if it will. block off oil supply to it, clip the gasket to avoid back filling oil releasing it. disable in the tune. put back together and drive it. if any thing happens again, full delete.

I’m biased because I took the dod delete path. Black bear can send you a startup tune even without data logging first, but I agree with @Dustin Jackson that running the protocol first with the blackbear device to get the logs is a better next step if you can afford the time. Then do the delete and move on.

I agree with the fellas. But I don't understand why he can't put a compression gauge on that cylinder to exclude other potential problems.

Thanks Gents! I'm a bit confused on BBP "newish approach". I spoke with a rep RIGHT when this issue was starting. He was very helpful; however, I wasn't exactly sure which route to take as there were different options (then what was offered in previous years as they changed their business model). To my understanding (at some point) they would send you the testing (ECM or what not) and you'd run data for X amount of time, upload send to them and they would "custom" tune.

Which package/method am I looking for now? My thinking was to address ALL issues and have my vehicle running tip/top prior to running analytics/custom tune. (obviously the game done changed on me)!

Is the below what I'm choosing from???

1685540031881.png

Much appreciated!!

@Dustin Jackson @Geotrash @swathdiver @j91z28d1

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gents! I'm a bit confused on BBP "newish approach". I spoke with a rep RIGHT when this issue was starting. He was very helpful; however, I wasn't exactly sure which route to take as there were different options (then what was offered in previous years as they changed their business model). To my understanding (at some point) they would send you the testing (ECM or what not) and you'd run data for X amount of time, upload send to them and they would "custom" tune.

Which package/method am I looking for now? My thinking was to address ALL issues and have my vehicle running tip/top prior to running analytics/custom tune. (obviously the game done changed on me)!

Is the below what I'm choosing from???

View attachment 400794

Much appreciated!!

@Dustin Jackson @Geotrash @swathdiver @j91z28d1
Autocal V3 is what you want. That way you can get tweaks without sending in your ECM.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Pointer 21 Yup they ship you a little device that you plug into your OBD port and then you use it to flash tunes to your Tahoe that they email to you.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
BBP tune is ordered. To better understand.........Wouldn't I need to drive the vehicle a number of miles, send the data to BBP and receive back the custom tune via email?

Assuming that is the process - What if it goes back to misfiring cylinder 1 during analytics testing?

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BBP tune is ordered. To better understand.........Wouldn't I need to drive the vehicle a number of miles, send the data to BBP and receive back the custom tune via email?

Assuming that is the process - What if it goes back to misfiring cylinder 1 during analytics testing?
They will flag that and take it into account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC