2012 XL Denali AWD steering shake over large bumps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is something I noticed when I bought this used 2 years ago, doesn't happen over light to medium bumps, but at hwy speeds over a good bump, the steering wheel will shake back and forth a couple times then quickly settle.

What I have done since purchase is new Defender LTX, new OE front diff mount brackets, new hub and bearings, new brake calipers, rotors, pads, and new OE strut cartridges. I had an alignment done with the new tires and also a week ago.

I do have the OE 22" wheels if that matters.

The upper and lower ball joints are good.

There is no looseness of the outer tie rods, they are tight.

I don't notice any wobble or play in the steering rods, and the steering is tight when driving, no dead spot on center.

My only thought is the mass of the wheel/tires just overcomes the steering for a moment. So should this never happen or normal for the GMT900?

Maybe the rack is slightly worn and only shows it's face with a stiff jolt/tremor of a bump at hwy speeds. This shake is very quick, just a couple slight back and forth movements of the wheel and it settles, nothing like a death wobble or a constant spring oscillation.

The steering rack mounts are tight also.

I will try to get a video in the coming days.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's probably normal for the age. I'd also suggest avoiding large bumps at speed....LOL

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming you have checked the sway bar links in front as well?

Have you had the alignment checked lately?

Might check out the rear suspension components as well like the rear sway bar, panhard bar, link arm bushings, etc. Could be that the rear end is bouncing around and your feeling it in the steering wheel. May not be that, but worth a check.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something I noticed when I bought this used 2 years ago, doesn't happen over light to medium bumps, but at hwy speeds over a good bump, the steering wheel will shake back and forth a couple times then quickly settle.

What I have done since purchase is new Defender LTX, new OE front diff mount brackets, new hub and bearings, new brake calipers, rotors, pads, and new OE strut cartridges. I had an alignment done with the new tires and also a week ago.

I do have the OE 22" wheels if that matters.

The upper and lower ball joints are good.

There is no looseness of the outer tie rods, they are tight.

I don't notice any wobble or play in the steering rods, and the steering is tight when driving, no dead spot on center.

My only thought is the mass of the wheel/tires just overcomes the steering for a moment. So should this never happen or normal for the GMT900?

Maybe the rack is slightly worn and only shows it's face with a stiff jolt/tremor of a bump at hwy speeds. This shake is very quick, just a couple slight back and forth movements of the wheel and it settles, nothing like a death wobble or a constant spring oscillation.

The steering rack mounts are tight also.

I will try to get a video in the coming days.
+1 to checking the sway bar links and mounts. Also, some folks have had trouble with the steering rack slipping in its mounts. One fix I saw was to crush a rubber coil spring mount ring between the rack and the frame crossmember. Another was to buy new rack mount bushings from Febest.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check the rack bushings.

Would these need to be pressed in/out?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the source of your issue is, but I can tell you that my 07 Yukon XL Denali has the Michelin Defender tires, and there is no steering wheel shake when I go over bumps.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the source of your issue is, but I can tell you that my 07 Yukon XL Denali has the Michelin Defender tires, and there is no steering wheel shake when I go over bumps.
I agree it's likely not the tires, I just wanted to document what I had for sake of discussion.

What I get is a quick back and forth movement and it quickly settles. This is over something like a sharp transition in the road, where the concrete overpass meets the asphalt and the surfaces aren't level....it's a fairly sharp bump to make this happen.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree it's likely not the tires, I just wanted to document what I had for sake of discussion.

What I get is a quick back and forth movement and it quickly settles. This is over something like a sharp transition in the road, where the concrete overpass meets the asphalt and the surfaces aren't level....it's a fairly sharp bump to make this happen.
I think that may actually be normal, the way you’re describing it.

Billeickmann

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2012 Tahoe LS 4WD started doing the same thing last year with about 62,000 miles. It does it with Mich. snow tires or Bridge. All Seasons. Took it in to a good front end shop and he said he has seen it before, but was not sure if it was the steering or struts. He said to let it go until it was a little worse and he would look again. No charge. I'm about to go back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel