2012 suburban disappointment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tigger5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since purchasing my 2012 Chevrolet Suburban LT, I have always brought it to the dealer that I purchased it from for maintenance and most repairs. On March 08 2022 I brought it in for an oil change and to check on a few items I have noticed. I then receive a call telling me that I have approximately $11,000 CDN, yes eleven thousand dollars Canadian, in repairs to be made. (PDF file included for GM).

It seems that the "quality" of service and the "work ethics" of the "qualified experts" have a lot to be desired. I can only guess they used apprentice mechanics so as to keep profits high. I worked as a lead hand for a fleet of vehicles, and someone who tells the service technician a job is done without spotting other problems, or a technician that does the ABSOLUTE minimum of the job is not worth the damage it can do to the reputation of a company.

Included the list of items that need replacing / repairing is are manifold studs. I am told that there are missing and / or broken studs and the manifolds are crocked. When asked how, the reason I am given is because of temperature swing from cold-hot cold etc. REALLY... you make a vehicle with engine parts that can not handle temperature differences, especially on the exhaust manifolds??

And then my favorite part. Supposedly I need a new camshaft along with lifters etc...in other words the common 5.3 problem that has plagued this engine from about 2007. There is NO misfire or stumble..only clacking in cold weather. Lifters not holding the oil?..possibly.. but adding a camshaft without actually seeing it?

So in conclusion, I expected a lot more for a vehicle of this caliber and from all those years of going to the GM Dealer for my maintenance with the assumption that if there would be a problem with the vehicle it would always be found, brought to my attention and rectified BEFORE it became a larger problem. But no, this was nothing more than a waste of time and money and ends up costing me what would be about 6 months salary for the average person. A VERY DISAPPOINTED customer.

CC: GM Canada, https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forums/general-discussion.14/, https://chevroletforum.com/forum/, https://www.gmtruckclub.com/

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Since you have a 2012 I would try to find a good independent mechanic in your neck of the woods or get a second opinion from another Chevrolet-GMC dealer that has a 5 star rating.

Out of curiosity how many miles on your Suburban?

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loved my 2012 other than the cracked dash.

Sounds like someone is trying to take advantage of you for sure. The broken studs are on all vehicles for exhaust maniforlds etc. Have never seen one that doesnt have broken studs ever.

The lifter issue may be a lifter loosing prime. If your going in might as well do the AFM delete and be done with issues completely. Independent shop will be very affordable on that or do it yourself etc.

Remember dealerships are called "Stealerships" for a reason. Their techs looks at anything and everything and if they cant diagnose the issue, Replace is always recommended. They are searching for big ticket items to pad the hours etc.

Sorry your going through it but take it to a independent shop with great reviews etc and let them tell you their recommendations.

OP
OP
T

tigger5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you say you never seen that does not have broken exhaust studs...talking about large gm suv's??...or in general.???..because myself, had a 79 z-28 with nitrous ..studs never broke in the 25+ years i had it... motor mounts, yes..never the exhaust..and never had it on the 6 other cars I owned... plus in the fleet i worked with (500+) maybe saw it 3x in 30 years... sorry, but it is not normal.

Reaction score
Do you mean the exhaust manifold (header) bolts that hold it to the head, or the studs at the collectors where the exhaust tubing connects to the manifold (headers)?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since purchasing my 2012 Chevrolet Suburban LT, I have always brought it to the dealer that I purchased it from for maintenance and most repairs. On March 08 2022 I brought it in for an oil change and to check on a few items I have noticed. I then receive a call telling me that I have approximately $11,000 CDN, yes eleven thousand dollars Canadian, in repairs to be made. (PDF file included for GM).

It seems that the "quality" of service and the "work ethics" of the "qualified experts" have a lot to be desired. I can only guess they used apprentice mechanics so as to keep profits high. I worked as a lead hand for a fleet of vehicles, and someone who tells the service technician a job is done without spotting other problems, or a technician that does the ABSOLUTE minimum of the job is not worth the damage it can do to the reputation of a company.

Included the list of items that need replacing / repairing is are manifold studs. I am told that there are missing and / or broken studs and the manifolds are crocked. When asked how, the reason I am given is because of temperature swing from cold-hot cold etc. REALLY... you make a vehicle with engine parts that can not handle temperature differences, especially on the exhaust manifolds??

The broken exhaust manifold bolts are super common. So common, that there are brackets available to bolt to the head to clamp the manifold down rather than removing the broken pieces from the head(s). I agree that it's really a stupid type of failure, but at least it's a mostly harmless one.

And then my favorite part. Supposedly I need a new camshaft along with lifters etc...in other words the common 5.3 problem that has plagued this engine from about 2007. There is NO misfire or stumble..only clacking in cold weather. Lifters not holding the oil?..possibly.. but adding a camshaft without actually seeing it?

So in conclusion, I expected a lot more for a vehicle of this caliber and from all those years of going to the GM Dealer for my maintenance with the assumption that if there would be a problem with the vehicle it would always be found, brought to my attention and rectified BEFORE it became a larger problem. But no, this was nothing more than a waste of time and money and ends up costing me what would be about 6 months salary for the average person. A VERY DISAPPOINTED customer.

CC: GM Canada, https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forums/general-discussion.14/, https://chevroletforum.com/forum/, https://www.gmtruckclub.com/

Are they trying to get you to fix an AFM failure before it actually happens? For the clacking lifter(s), if it is lifters and not exhaust leak(s), it's likely a failing AFM lifter(s). Could be an oil filter with a crappy anti-drain-back valve. I'd disable AFM to keep the lifters pumped up and see if there are any improvements in the sound. I doubt you'll notice any real loss in net MPG.

Grab the exhaust clamps as needed. At only 114K miles, it should have a lot of life left in it. You just gotta kill AFM before it kills you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Before surrendering why not get a second opinion? Why not check these things out for yourself? I bet you could make these repairs yourself, if they are even necessary.

These motors have aluminum heads and cast iron manifolds and the head bolts do indeed corrode and break off over time. If you do not have a lighted check engine light, I doubt that there is anything wrong with your AFM system unless it died while at the dealer.

If you're looking for a good excuse for a new car, it's a sellers market right now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
meh, broken exhaust manifold bolts do break and they can be replaced, not a easy job but it can be done
also the exhaust flange can warp and cause leaks, that can be fixed by welding on a replacement flange (dealer won't offer this solution) they only sell the whole pipe.
as for the rest, drive it like you have been and after a couple thousand miles send a oil sample in to Blackstone labs and they can give you a
analysis of the oil and if they suspect it needs to be addressed or not, they will send you the collection kit for free, the analysis cost is about $30

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You clearly registered here just to complain since your post has so little information no one can help you. Nothing about how long you've owned it, how many miles are on it, none of the actual recommendations, or any of your actual concerns. Your vehicle has been out of powertrain warranty for at least 5 years (or half of it's life), if you wanted it covered forever you should have bought an extended warranty.

A free multipoint inspection does not cover engine diagnosis. I mean, really? You expected to be told your lifters are failing when you came in for an oil change and tire rotate? Even if so, it would still have costed the same to fix then as it does now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish