2011 Yuk Rotor/Pad Replacement and Weird Noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scraps66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had installed slotted/drilled rotors from Freedom two years ago that have now warped. My guess my choice of rotor for my application, boat towing, may not have been the best.

Yesterday I upgraded the front rotors to EBC slotted and ceramic pads.

I got the job all done and went out for a test ride. At slow speed stopping, I am hearing what sounds like something rubbing on the tire, not metal to metal, and I can feel this affect stopping. I've put the front on ramps and cannot see anything obvious and the rotors are wearing nicely, no smudges or uneven wear. I've not completed a proper pad bedding process and it's raining right now so can't take it all apart, yet.

The only things I can come up with is that the rotor may not be in the right orientation on the hub or the ABS sensor may be rubbing. It almost feels/sounds as if I'm running with an untrimmed tire plug sticking out. At very low speeds I can feel this resistance while the vehicle is stopping.

Or, though I was real careful, I could have put the pads in backward, inner/outer, and the noise I hear is the leading edge of the pad hitting the rotor slots.

Any ideas on where I should look or look out for???

Last edited:

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt there a warning that comes with the ebc pads and rotors that says it may make some noises?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Scraps66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is that warning, but it's the same warning as on other brake pads I've seen.

My mechanic thinks "maybe" the rotors have a little runout. I did not check the runout when Installed.

I actually think the sound may be a bad CV joint, or some other suspension component. Now that I consider the history, I had driven some time in the last year with a broken stabilizer bar link on this side of the vehicle. Also seen accelerated wear on the outside of the tread. This kind of leads me to the bad CV, maybe it fell apart when I took the load off the wheels. This is not a metal to metal sound, more like a clunking, almost as if the ABS is coming on at low speed.

So I think it's the runout issue or the CV joint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076