2011 Tahoe/hollowed catalytic converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seakone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 Tahoe Lt 5.3 4wd
recently bought this vehicle and come to find out all 3 catalytic converters are hollowed out I had changed all 4 oxygen sensors because I had permanent code p0430 and p0420 codes SUV runs fine and all I can even pass smog inspection no check engine light I can remote start it I'm just wondering how the hell can it pass smog and why no check engine light ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221223_142202_BlueDriver.png
    Screenshot_20221223_142202_BlueDriver.png
    730.1 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
S

seakone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The codes cleared once you changed the O2's?
nope "permanent codes" are still there as seen in screenshot but no dtc lights or anything I just want to know how the heck it passes smog and no dtc lights ?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone put a special tune on it? Is that even possible? Are you sure all cats are straight thru? Does the light come on at the startup test cycle?

OP
OP
S

seakone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wonder if someone put a special tune on it? Is that even possible? Are you sure all cats are straight thru?
yes cel light does work it has been on and I see it on as I turn the key and I'm convinced and old dude has owned this Tahoe I have changed a few things and most engine parts are still oem and Tahoe was nicely kept even bulbs all still yellow, and even if the cel light wouldn't work I wouldn't pass smog I was thinking some type of tune but I highly doubt that

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes cel light does work it has been on and I see it on as I turn the key and I'm convinced and old dude has owned this Tahoe I have changed a few things and most engine parts are still oem and Tahoe was nicely kept even bulbs all still yellow, and even if the cel light wouldn't work I wouldn't pass smog I was thinking some type of tune but I highly doubt that

It was probably tuned to "not report". The PCM will still monitor things and record fails, but you can tune it to report after X number of fails or to not report at all or to report but not illuminate the CEL. I think those are the options, anyway.

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Tahoe Lt 5.3 4wd
recently bought this vehicle and come to find out all 3 catalytic converters are hollowed out I had changed all 4 oxygen sensors because I had permanent code p0430 and p0420 codes SUV runs fine and all I can even pass smog inspection no check engine light I can remote start it I'm just wondering how the hell can it pass smog and why no check engine light ?
@seakone What state you in?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@seakone I been thinking about doing this but I am in California, I heard over here they don't test the exhaust its all computer based these days. Is that how the Texas smog is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9