2011 Suburban - Front Shocks recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmaker

Reaction score
Took the vehicle on a road trip last week and I noticed that while on t he highway (at highway speeds) when I go over a bridge transition or bump in the road, the impact is more than I care for, sometimes a shudder throughout the vehicle and steering wheel movement.

I think I will start by replacing the from shocks as they look to be original.

I know this is discussed on here...but I am looking for specific recommendations before I go down the rabbit hole.

Bilstein are great (so I am reading) but they seem to be geared to off-road and tow/hauling - I do little to none of that and since this has become a bit of a money pit, not looking to break the bank.

Can anyone provide some recommendations on decent front shocks, mainly for road use.

Thank you.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got this far on OEM parts, so I suggest that you replace them with like parts.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
Looking for a little help/verification that I'm looking at the correct parts.

On Rock Auto, I found part #540-616 for the front (w/o springs) and part #540-631 for the rear shocks - am I right with these #'s?
I would like to get the front strut assembly with springs included but do not see AC Delco/GM Genuine on Rock Auto for those - any suggestions?

Update - I have been down the rabbit hole a bit and I'm seeing that the ZW7 is supposed to have self-leveling Nivomat shocks in the rear.
  • ZW7: Premium Smooth Ride suspension, using conventional shocks in the front and self-leveling Nivomat shocks in the rear
As you can see in the picture below, those are not Nivomat. I came across an old thread about this exact scenario - ZW7, but with the blue ac delco shocks. The guy called the dealer and based on his VIN they gave him the part #'s for the standard blue AC Delco rear shock. I'm 99% certain these are the original equipment and I already ordered replacements #540-631 for the rear. Has anyone run into t his - ZW7 without Nivomat?

I still can't seem to find AC/GM Gen front shocks with the springs all in one. Recommendations?

Here is my RPO sticker
IMG_20230806_141622.jpg

- it looks like I have the:
ZW7 CHASSIS PACKAGE,PREMIUM SMOOTH RIDE
6XU SPRING COMPTR SELECT FRT LH
7XU SPRING COMPTR SELECT FRT RH

Here are pics of the front strut and spring followed by the rear.
IMG_20230806_145835.jpg
IMG_20230806_145900.jpg
IMG_20230806_145920.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you see a match in part numbers between the numbers on the shocks and springs when compared to the parts offered on Rock Auto?

Nimovats may not have been offered for your year truck. @swathdiver

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
The numbers on the rear shocks are 22755311 - those are searchable and produce results - ended up with GM GENUINE 540631 (same part). Turns out that after 2007 the ZW7 package just used standard shocks - not Nevomats - at least that is what I have read in several places.

The front numbers do not come up anywhere - I assume discontinued, but still, no results searching all sorts of AC Delco/GM parts searches. I ended up just going with the Monroe 139104 Quick Strut - as I want to be able to just plug and play these fronts in. I tried to source AC Delco fronts; however, they are no longer made as a complete assembly (out of stock everywhere) and my fronts are SHOT - the rubber cones are gone, and the rubber spacers are smashed. I would have had to build assembly piece by piece, and that's just a pita.

If the Monroes shi7 the bed in a couple of years I will go with something a lil higher end.

I'm gonna replace the sway bar bushings and jounce bumpers too. Does anyone know if the jounce-bump stops just pop in or do they have a bolt? I see some with bolts and many without and in most videos I have watched they seem to just press in.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little help/verification that I'm looking at the correct parts.
Your truck did not come with Nivomats as there is no G69 self-leveling RPO code. Only the first year GMT900s came with Nivomats.

Your front struts are still in production: 20955487. GM does not offer pre-assembled struts, too many variables. It is best to build them from scratch, replacing each piece.

Your front springs are discontinued: 25876850. This crosses to Moog 81246.

Your rear shocks are still in production: 22755311

Your rear springs are not, for GM OE: 15115209. They are in production under the ACDelco Professional line, 45H1265 or 19255625. Moog offers the 81069 in its place.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Question - Should I jack the vehicle up to change the sway bar bushings?

I can get to them and do it with it on the ground, just wondering if there is any load on it or anything to worry about being on the ground.

Update - - Answer is - not necessary to jack it up. The bolts were very tightly torqued down way more than the 37 ftlbs I retorqued them to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
Your truck did not come with Nivomats as there is no G69 self-leveling RPO code. Only the first year GMT900s came with Nivomats.

Your front struts are still in production: 20955487. GM does not offer pre-assembled struts, too many variables. It is best to build them from scratch, replacing each piece.

Your front springs are discontinued: 25876850. This crosses to Moog 81246.

Your rear shocks are still in production: 22755311

Your rear springs are not, for GM OE: 15115209. They are in production under the ACDelco Professional line, 45H1265 or 19255625. Moog offers the 81069 in its place.
That number you have there 20955487 - is different from the number on the actual strut - did they just change part no's along the way?

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That number you have there 20955487 - is different from the number on the actual strut - did they just change part no's along the way?
That's the current number for the shock codes on your RPO sheet, so yes, the number probably changed. This ACDelco number would be on the same box: 540-616.

These are my two most reliable sources for getting accurate and up to date part numbers:

GMPartsGiant.com

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
That's the current number for the shock codes on your RPO sheet, so yes, the number probably changed. This ACDelco number would be on the same box: 540-616.

These are my two most reliable sources for getting accurate and up to date part numbers:

GMPartsGiant.com
I use those two sites as well - but then often find conflicting info when going to other sites to actually purchase. For instance...

I'm looking for the rear Jounce Bumpers (bump stops).
When I search the AC Delco parts catalog it returns just one part - Part# 15200997, it also says POLICE PKG(Z56).

When I search GM Parts Direct it produces several results with this one GM (15115208) indicating ZW7 - which is what I have.

Most retail sites say it's the correct part, but a couple say it's not. Very frustrating.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019