2011 5.3 oil pressure low ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstrada

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 5.3 Tahoe 200k. Oil pressure at idle is 20 lbs at idle and 40 at highway speeds is that normal or should I do a filter/screen and switch ?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’ve had to change 3 oil sensor screens on my Tahoe and 2 for friends it gums up and would throw low oil pressure warnings
It’s located on the back driver side of the intake manifold and it’s a pita to do it the first time until you get it figured out
Also got to do it all by feel as you can’t see back there
Don’t sound like yours is that bad yet but mine would throw low oil pressure warnings on cold starts for maybe 3-5 seconds but eventually got bad enough it threw it all the time

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a bit towards the low end of normal, IMO. But, if it has always been around these pressures, then it's likely fine. If it has been gradually dropping over time, or worse, is a recent and sudden change, then you should investigate.

The gauge is better suited as providing a general idea of operating range and shouldn't be counted on for actual pressure. So, your actual pressure could be in the "more normal" range of 30-50 (50s at higher RPM) when the gauge is displaying its 20-40 range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bstrada

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve had to change 3 oil sensor screens on my Tahoe and 2 for friends it gums up and would throw low oil pressure warnings
It’s located on the back driver side of the intake manifold and it’s a pita to do it the first time until you get it figured out
Also got to do it all by feel as you can’t see back there
Don’t sound like yours is that bad yet but mine would throw low oil pressure warnings on cold starts for maybe 3-5 seconds but eventually got bad enough it threw it all the time
Thanks Man