2008 Yukon Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HD4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reason I got rid of my 08' XL Denali for the 2010 Ram. Crazy electrical prolems that many describe here.

Have the 02' Yukon XL and Never a problem

white434

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
body control module

I had what I assume is similar to the same problem with my 07 Tahoe. The problem started for me with the remote locks not working. I would unlock the door manually, and as soon as I started the car, the locks would work properly. Then the problem got worse from there. Every week or so when I got in the car, the interior lights wouldn't work. Also had no brake lights, turn signals, rear wiper, front and rear windshield washers. The front wipers would only work if turned on high, the power locks wouldn't work, and the rear window switches wouldn't work. The DIC would display Service Suspension System, Service 4 Wheel Drive, Service Traction Control, and Service Air Bag.

I could turn the key off and back on a few times and the lights would come on, everything else would start working, and it would start. This was an annoyance for a couple of weeks, then the problem started happening while driving. Sometimes everything would just flash and come back on, but then it got to the point where everything mentioned would stop working and I would have to pull over and shut the car off and restart it for the lights and other functions to work again. When the weather got colder, the problem got a lot worse. Sometimes it wouldn't start after 30 minutes of turning it off and back on.

After reading forums and getting advice from a few mechanics (not dealer mechanics) I bought a new bcm and had the dealer program it today. Now I am getting a Service Airbag message and Service Suspension System message every time I start it. This has been an extremely disappointing experience for our family. The features that are offered in the Tahoe are nice, but only if they work properly. I feel that the electrical issue in our Tahoe is extremely dangerous because of the failure of the lights, wipers, and turn signals especially because one of the times it happened was while I was driving in the rain at night. I plan on calling the dealer to ask if there's a correlation between the bcm and the air bag/suspension warnings now.

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that most of these electrical issues are BCM issues, not new battery cables or tighter bolts on the fuse box.

white434

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree, seems to be a common problem with the bcm's.

I went through a huge mess with the dealer and finally got them to agree to check it for free. It ended up my air bag light was coming on because the first mechanic that looked at it didn't configure the air bag. The problems don't irritate me near as much as the poor quality of customer service that I received. Cars are going to have problems; how they are resolved is the important part of the service department.

Lesson Learned. I have never had a problem with local BMW or Lexus customer service for my wife's vehicles. Situations like this play a big part in our purchase decisions.

By the way, GM Customer Service, I typed a whole story of my personal interaction for this whole issue but couldn't send it. I haven't had 10 posts so I can't respond to your PM. :emotions122:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, seems to be a common problem with the bcm's.

I went through a huge mess with the dealer and finally got them to agree to check it for free. It ended up my air bag light was coming on because the first mechanic that looked at it didn't configure the air bag. The problems don't irritate me near as much as the poor quality of customer service that I received. Cars are going to have problems; how they are resolved is the important part of the service department.

Lesson Learned. I have never had a problem with local BMW or Lexus customer service for my wife's vehicles. Situations like this play a big part in our purchase decisions.

By the way, GM Customer Service, I typed a whole story of my personal interaction for this whole issue but couldn't send it. I haven't had 10 posts so I can't respond to your PM. :emotions122:

white434,

I’m sorry to hear of your experience with Customer Service. You are welcome to email your story to me. I would like to document everything and look into this further.

My direct email is: [email protected]

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to include those as well.

I look forward to you reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service

jh1021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yukon XL Electrical Problems? Or Not? Don't Know..

I am having the same issue as many in this thread. Our 2008 Yukon XL started having some sort of electrical problems a few months ago. The issue is that the radio and instrument clusters will start flickering on and off and making a loud popping noise, and door locks will go up and down then the vehicle will go dead, and I mean dead dead. The car will not turn over, the door locks will not work, absolutely nothing. Every time we can wait about 30 minutes to 2 hours try it again and it will crank fine. Our mechanic thought it was the BCM. He replaced it and it still happened, we took it back and he tightened some connections to the BCM. We thought that fixed it, but it did not. Three days ago it happened while driving down the road, we had to pull over, let it sit a minute then it did fine for a few days. It happened again this morning and it is dead right now. We are taking back to the mechanic today. As FYI, the mechanic was able to replicate the issue while driving it, so he has seen exactly what it is doing. We are at wits end and considering looking into the lemon law at this point. We are out of options and do not know where to go next. Any insight is appreciated.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jh1021,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Was the Mega fuse checked? This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis.

Louis
GM Customer Service

cwarm3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problems with the electrical system. I am going crazy trying to fix this piece of crap '08 Yukon XL Denali. Has anyone figured out what to do??

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

bump

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

i tried to email one of you GM service reps that are posted on here but it said it was a bad email address. can one of you give me your email address?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilb

Latest posts