2008 Tahoe Upper dash repair/replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
Have any of you removed the top of your dash? If so is it very difficult? I assume it will take some time but it is something I am going to have to do. The previous owner or someone that serviced the vehicle used clear silicone/calk to (I’m guessing) re install the top of the dash because they didn’t know how, or was trying to rush a repair.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you removed the top of your dash? If so is it very difficult? I assume it will take some time but it is something I am going to have to do. The previous owner or someone that serviced the vehicle used clear silicone/calk to (I’m guessing) re install the top of the dash because they didn’t know how, or was trying to rush a repair.
what year???? the 07-14 do not have a "top" you might be looking at a aftermarket cap that was put on and/or removed
pictures might help

OP
OP
S

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
what year???? the 07-14 do not have a "top" you might be looking at a aftermarket cap that was put on and/or removed
pictures might help
It is a 2008. It looks like it could be a possible cap. However whoever did the so called repair/cap removed the sensor for the automatic headlights that sticks through the dash at the base of the windshield and left it in the glove box. That is one of the reasons for the post. I will work on getting a picture to share.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a 2008. It looks like it could be a possible cap. However whoever did the so called repair/cap removed the sensor for the automatic headlights that sticks through the dash at the base of the windshield and left it in the glove box. That is one of the reasons for the post. I will work on getting a picture to share.
the caps are typically glued on to cover the the original dash which develop cracks. not sure that you have to remove it to replace the sensor you should be able reach the harness from behind the radio, the sensor should "twist" on or into the dash.
I would pull the radio and look in there with a flashlight, the harness is probably dangling loose

OP
OP
S

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
I tried to share a video but it wouldn’t let me attach it.

Attachments

• IMG_9830.png
    IMG_9830.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9829.png
    IMG_9829.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9827.png
    IMG_9827.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I remember, it's not really reachable from behind radio. The wiring goes to the left, and even with the top off only comes up a few inches.

Is that the only reason to replace the light sensor?

Stupid cracked dashboards!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to share a video but it wouldn’t let me attach it.

That is definitely a cap to cover the cracked original dash. The ambient light sensor is in a forward panel of the dash near the windshield that is separate from the main dash. The problem is most of the caps are one piece, joining the top of the dash and that separate piece as one big panel. I don't know how you'd go about reaching the hole in this situation. If not through the radio hole, maybe remove the passenger airbag and go through the front left corner? I wanna say I've reached near that area through the cavity with the radio removed when I was installing a factory navigation antenna. I'd definitely try that before messing with the airbag. You might even have to enlist the help of a skinny-armed kid.

OP
OP
S

Stage2Tahoe

Reaction score
If it’s a cap then the original dash must be really bad. In the video I tried to share… I can literally move the dash (with my hand and very little effort) at the gauge cluster because there are no screws or tabs securing it to the structure that holds the electronics gauges/radio/climate control, etc….

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably all cracked away, which would explain the heavy use of silicone on the edges..

I dream about making a metal dashboard (about a .01% chance), because I don't want to pay GM several hundred dollars for another dash that will crack again.. It's like encouraging bad behavior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl