2007 Yukon, Belltech 753. Squatting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KYEB455

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m pretty new to the forum here. I recently installed the Belltech 753 2/3 lowering kit. I installed the coil spacers provided. This is supposed to make it 2/3 vs the 2/4 without any spacers. I think it’s squatting more in the rear (very slight) than what I’ve seen or would’ve expected. I was hoping with the spacers it would perfectly level it out or give it a very very slight rake. Can anyone shed some light on this? I’ve contacted Belltech and they weren’t a lot of help. I might be giving them another call. Any help would be appreciated!

124071AB-570F-400F-94C2-F8F83AC931CF.jpeg5036D037-92B4-4733-81AF-C04587BD04E5.jpeg722F2711-EB21-4AB8-B22B-284EC8F74ED1.jpeg20616BEE-E8AD-4DCA-91FE-CBDC9E8BA16A.jpeg

OP
OP
KYEB455

KYEB455

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m pretty new to the forum here. I recently installed the Belltech 753 2/3 lowering kit. I installed the coil spacers provided. This is supposed to make it 2/3 vs the 2/4 without any spacers. I think it’s squatting more in the rear (very slight) than what I’ve seen or would’ve expected. I was hoping with the spacers it would perfectly level it out or give it a very very slight rake. Can anyone shed some light on this? I’ve contacted Belltech and they weren’t a lot of help. I might be giving them another call. Any help would be appreciated!

View attachment 390049View attachment 390050View attachment 390051View attachment 390052
I wish I would've measured all four corners before; the front doesn't seem to have dropped the full 2" either. I might be over analyzing, but I am admittedly a perfectionist LOL

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I would've measured all four corners before; the front doesn't seem to have dropped the full 2" either. I might be over analyzing, but I am admittedly a perfectionist LOL

Not measuring before is a bit of a peeve of mine. I found that the McGaughy spindles actually drop 1.75" and not 2". Also, I was doing a lot of experiments with mine, so I needed solid baselines.

I was about to say that yours looks kinda stockish in the front. Does yours have a functioning ALC ("air ride") in the rear? You could swap the Belltech spacer for a thicker one, like a 2". They're fairly cheap on eBay and Amazon.

Examples: https://www.ebay.com/itm/165493123931

OP
OP
KYEB455

KYEB455

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @iamdub . Here’s a shot before the drop. It’s noticeably dropped a good bit front and back. I think I may have an issue with the rear air system.. No suspension codes but the rear bags seem to not be holding air. I thought the air was only supposed to adjust height with load, not assist in its normal ride. I guess not. Time to test the system

406AF0D9-F54F-4236-A331-2D50D8A57C13.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @iamdub . Here’s a shot before the drop. It’s noticeably dropped a good bit front and back. I think I may have an issue with the rear air system.. No suspension codes but the rear bags seem to not be holding air. I thought the air was only supposed to adjust height with load, not assist in its normal ride. I guess not. Time to test the system

View attachment 390251

After comparing that to your other pic, I can definitely tell it's lowered. I forget how high these things are when stock! I agree- it doesn't look quite like 2". Does yours have air in the front? I can't recall if that was an Escalade-only thing or an option on the Denali.

The rear ALC is for leveling (Automatic Level Control) when loaded down. It does keep a minimum pressure in the bags, around 5psi, so the bags maintain their shape and as a supplement to the base load capacity. The coil springs for the ALC-equipped models are slightly softer so that firmness added from that base 5psi in the bags equals a "normal" ride quality. This 5psi tends to raise the rear around 1/2". At startup after sitting, the compressor runs for a few seconds to pump up the bags and then the exhaust cycles as part of a systems check procedure. If the bags are leaking, the compressor will be cycling on and off as you're driving. In time, the leak(s) get worse and the compressor runs more, eventually burning up.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
The rear ALC also keeps the suv level from side to side. With out it you will get the chevy lean.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear ALC also keeps the suv level from side to side. With out it you will get the chevy lean.

I was told the left and right sides were T'ed together inside the valve assembly in the compressor and not isolated as to be controlled individually.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I was told the left and right sides were T'ed together inside the valve assembly in the compressor and not isolated as to be controlled individually.
You are correct, I'm not sure how it works but when the ALC compressor went out on my suv, I got the Chevy lean, I wasn't even aware of such thing.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, I'm not sure how it works but when the ALC compressor went out on my suv, I got the Chevy lean, I wasn't even aware of such thing.

I wish I weren't. Having one side push air into the other side isn't ideal in any situation. Oh well, that's why God made beefy sway bars, right?

Not sure how the rear being (supposedly) a little lower, equally, would let one side lean more. Maybe if that side's springs were worn more? I had about a 1/2" lean but corrected it when I did my drop by using one ring in the driver side Belltech strut. So, the driver side got a 1.5" strut drop versus the passenger side's 2". It averaged out to a total of 1.75" drop from the struts. Each side is within 1/8" in the front. They're within 1/16" in the rear.

OP
OP
KYEB455

KYEB455

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After comparing that to your other pic, I can definitely tell it's lowered. I forget how high these things are when stock! I agree- it doesn't look quite like 2". Does yours have air in the front? I can't recall if that was an Escalade-only thing or an option on the Denali.

The rear ALC is for leveling (Automatic Level Control) when loaded down. It does keep a minimum pressure in the bags, around 5psi, so the bags maintain their shape and as a supplement to the base load capacity. The coil springs for the ALC-equipped models are slightly softer so that firmness added from that base 5psi in the bags equals a "normal" ride quality. This 5psi tends to raise the rear around 1/2". At startup after sitting, the compressor runs for a few seconds to pump up the bags and then the exhaust cycles as part of a systems check procedure. If the bags are leaking, the compressor will be cycling on and off as you're driving. In time, the leak(s) get worse and the compressor runs more, eventually burning up.
This truck has the Z55 suspension package which is magnetic only up front and magnetic + air in the rear. The front ride height would not be adjusted whatsoever, only bump and rebound stiffness depending on terrain. I'm waiting for the time to test the air system in the rear. I can hear the compressor make a single tick on startup, but no actual run time. I'm guessing I'll find that the compressor is junk and the rear bags are leaking. Arnott seems to be the go to manufacturer, guess I'll be on Rock Auto making an order soon enough. You know what's funny though, I've never noticed any change in the ride or ride height! It's always been tight. The drop is what's now brought everything to light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157