2007 Tahoe Spare Tire - Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a common problem with the safety latch being froze. I looked up methods to resolve and I can't get to the hook side of the latch because the direction of the tire and the access to the latch with a screw driver to try and knock it loose with brute force.

I sprayed the mechanism with rust removal solvent and letting that soak in for a day or two.

Any thoughts on how to resolve?

BTW - The tire isn't dropping at all.

Thanks for any feedback.
Tim

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sledgehammer, blowtorch and/or drill. :banghead:

I've given up on mine. In the rare event I get a flat/blowout, I'm just calling AAA. I travel all over the country, a lot of times towing heavy, including those big, desolate mountainy states, and I've never felt concerned about not having a spare. In fact, in my 30+ years of driving, I think the last time I needed to change a tire on the side of the road was about 1994.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This doesn't help for now, but since mine froze up and was replaced, we make it a point to drop the tire twice a year now so it doesn't rust up.

07yukonguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It took two of us 1 1/2 hours to get mine down. Finally after letting the air out of the tire, and striking the hanger in the right place it released. The problem was finding the right spot and getting to it. A long screw driver and hammer worked in the end. After it was down I cut the safety tab off with an angle grinder. Now it comes down with no problem. I can’t imagine trying to do that on the side of the road.