2007 GMC Yukon wiring / lights problem - FOUND chewed wires near left rear end - update 1st post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
Will try to keep the 1st post simple and focused.

The Rear lighting cluster on the passenger side all 3 main bulbs appear very dim ( driver side rear is normal )

The turn signal blinks at a much more rapid rate than normal most of the time ( starts normal then quickly goes rapid blink ) both left and right position.

The back up / reverse lamps are not working ( appear bulbs are fine - am replacing right now with new ) reverse fuse is fine

I switched all 3 main bulbs from driver side rear to passenger side rear and dim stays on passenger side rear so is NOT the bulbs )

Fuses appear fine.

What is causing this craziness ?

update: June 11

discovered rat / rodent has chewed into wiring harness near the driver side rear end. 2 wires severed some insulation damage to a couple others.
Looks like a few butt splices - some spare wire and waterproof shrink tubing and a heat gun should fix things.

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Probably a bad ground to the RR lights causing the dim and fast flash.

Reverse switch is what I’d check first on those. Someone will be along that knows where it is, I haven’t been into that circuit on this veh.

OP
OP
StrkAliteN

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
This post will blow some minds ( mine is shot wandering what is wrong )

all front lites appear working 100% normal - turn signal bright both sides etc - the large center brake lite appears normal working and brightness. Problem is located rt side rear / passenger side it seems.

1. replaced all rear assembly lamps with brand new and it DID NOT fix the problem
2. For the ease of transmitting info, I will refer to driver side as left and pass side as right. There are 3 main bulbs on both left and right side.
I will refer to these as top - middle - bottom. According to page 502 in my owners manual Top is taillamp/turn signal lamp. Middle is backup lamp and bottom is stoplamp / tail lamp. That does NOT appear to be the functions and replacement bulb pattern ( too difficult to explain ) I am 100% positive I DO NOT have any lamps bulbs in the wrong socket.

scenarios ( there are MANY - here are the main few )

1. Standard lights on: left / driver side appears normal and bright and right side / passenger side all 3 lamps very dim
2. Apply brakes: Rt side / pass side all lites GO OUT ( WTF over ? ) drivers side / left side top lite goes super bright to indicate brake.
3. Apply left turn signal: right side unchanged ( all lamps still very dim ) - left driver side the middle lamp blinks to indicate turn signal. According to my owners manual the middle lamp is referenced as back-up lamp so something is very fucky fucky here. I think the owners manual has the lamp locations mis identified.
4. Right turn signal lamps blink very dim right passenger side. The small side lamp also blinks ( the driver side small side lamp does not blink in turn signal mode )

NOTE: the bottom lamp on BOTH sides never comes on in any function. According to the suspect owners manual ( page 502 ) the bottom lamp is stoplamp/ tail lamp. Once again I think this is wrong.

If someone can confirm top middle and bottom lamps true function would be helpful moving forward.

No damage appears to any wiring and no fuses appear faulty ( obvious power to the lamp sockets )

What in the holy hell is going on here ?? This vehicle sat / not run or started for 4 years 4 months until recent. No prior lite problems and I just noticed this the past few days. Obviously is not safe to drive around with faulty brake / turn signal lites.

has to be something very simple and minor as nothings has been altered or messed with.

I am baffled

OP
OP
StrkAliteN

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
Reverse lites do not work and creates all sorts of wizardry I do not wanna try explaining via type.

why does the owners manual incorrectly identify the stack of 3 rear lamps and why does the bottom lamp never ever illuminate ? The bottom cannot be the stoplamp / tail lamp as referred in owners manual

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am remembering correctly, there is a ground strap that goes in behind the drivers side tail light that will cause problems to all 3 light assemblies, including the HMCSL.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you just have a short or bad connection somewhere, could be anywhere front or rear, these lights will do some pretty weird shit if there is a short that's the normal part.
you might have to pull the headlight and the tail light housings out and start checking the harness with a meter, the front harness is pretty screwy as it is, you will see a extra ground, look under the truck and see if a critter got under there and chewed on anything. not even sure what the ohm's should be you might have to check the gm upfitter guide diagrams.

OP
OP
StrkAliteN

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
pics

Attachments

• lites1.jpg
    lites1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 5
  • lites2.jpg
    lites2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4
  • lites3.jpg
    lites3.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
StrkAliteN

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
pics

Attachments

• liteBottom.jpg
    liteBottom.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2
  • LiteMiddle.jpg
    LiteMiddle.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 2
  • liteTop.jpg
    liteTop.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
StrkAliteN

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
The owners manual is WRONG.

The stoplamp / tail lamp 3057 will NEVER fit into the socket that is C position in the owners manual as the lamp plug assembly DO NOT match.

Why the incorrect info in a owners manual ?? I have no ******* clue what is normal now or not normal.

All I know is my right rear lite assembly is possessed by demons and I have no clue how to troubleshoot / fix it

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
owners manual is not going to be helpful in this case at all, you will have to just start checking the harness's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts