2006 GMC Yukon - whistling noise then low whirring sound on start up? (Video linked)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meganc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! I am in need of help. This vehicle is new-ish to me and I’m am gradually becoming more aware of the odd noises it makes.

I’ve shared an unlisted video on YouTube from my vehicle while parked. Then I also decided to drive around to show more of the noises. This is the video while driving.

There is a whining/whistling sound. This video shows a similar sound (skip to the end where he shows the sound with the belt on).

Followed by a deep whirring noise. This happens all while in park.

As I accelerated, the whistle seems to increase in loudness? As I slow down the whirring usually returns. But the whirring comes and goes while I’m driving.

I am in way over my head trying to research this tonight! If you have any ideas or are familiar with these noises, send them my way.

I recently had the water pump replaced. Recently checked power steering fluid and it was all good. From what I’ve seen online, it doesn’t seem to be the power steering pump - the noise seems unrelated to turning the wheel.

Anyway, I appreciate any help you can provide!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's normal. Every GM full size truck and SUV I've ever driven or rode in makes that same noise. My 2001 has had a whine like that since I bought it in 2006.
Also, that loud buzzing sound in the first video is normal too, that's the engine cooling fans. Sounds like a huge swarm of angry bees when the fans kick on. Lol

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In the first video I did hear the whine and have an idea about that. The other light rattle noise, sounds to me like the a/c compressor kicking on.

Now back to the whine. I would bet that if you unplug the alternator, the noise will stop, with the belt on. Different vehicle: My neighbor has a 2010 Camry with the same noise and I unplugged the alternator and noise was gone. I am waiting for a new alternator to get here Wednesday from RA and will replace it. I had run across this before with other vehicles and other alternators and when I would unplug them the noise would go away. This was all with the belt on. The noise would get louder when accelerate as well, again with the belt on.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the first video I did hear the whine and have an idea about that. The other light rattle noise, sounds to me like the a/c compressor kicking on.

Now back to the whine. I would bet that if you unplug the alternator, the noise will stop, with the belt on. Different vehicle: My neighbor has a 2010 Camry with the same noise and I unplugged the alternator and noise was gone. I am waiting for a new alternator to get here Wednesday from RA and will replace it. I had run across this before with other vehicles and other alternators and when I would unplug them the noise would go away. This was all with the belt on. The noise would get louder when accelerate as well, again with the belt on.
Could be the needle bearings that are typically used in alternators at the rear getting loaded down as the voltage regulator calls for more voltage output and the field coils get more current which in turn causes a larger magnetic field to act upon.

OP
OP
M

meganc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's normal. Every GM full size truck and SUV I've ever driven or rode in makes that same noise. My 2001 has had a whine like that since I bought it in 2006.
Also, that loud buzzing sound in the first video is normal too, that's the engine cooling fans. Sounds like a huge swarm of angry bees when the fans kick on. Lol
Lol, yes that is exactly the noise. Sounds so aggressive! :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
M

meganc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks for your insight! I noticed your photo - I was just visiting Oregon this past month. Multnomah Falls was a little crazy with so many humans haha, but Oregon is such a beautiful place.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight! I noticed your photo - I was just visiting Oregon this past month. Multnomah Falls was a little crazy with so many humans haha, but Oregon is such a beautiful place.
That is why I moved here almost 30 years ago. Love the scenery and the weather and Crater Lake is my favorite place just to pull over and break out the lawn chairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts