2005 Yukon XL - Puddle Light lens part 2 ... CLEAR!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I solved the dim lighting from the puddle lens. I wasn't satisfied with the LED bulb.

It still wasn't bright enough on the ground. I am going to get a 'panel style' LED instead of the tube-bulb LED, with a frosted glass I bought....

BUT.... The silly original GM style puddle lens is a heavy/ textured finish.... That sucked...

So, I went to the salvage & found 4 lenses.

#1 - Get a medium grit sanding sponge. - Start with the heavier grit on sponge. Watch a football game and sand away. ( 20 minutes )...

# 2 - Switch to the lesser grit on the square sanding sponge. - Sand away , back-n-forth. 15 minutes.

#3 - Mount a drill on your vice with a buffer wheel. Use Rubbing compound. - 10 minutes.

#4 - A second buffing wheel, use Polishing compound. - 10 minutes.

#5 - Plastic polish for a protective finish. - 1 minute

Done. CLEAR !! ( enlarge the last photo to see clarity )

Medium Grit sanding sponge.jpg Drill and polish.jpg lens on table side.jpg Factory finish My finish.jpg

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I didn't want to diminish his idea. I had remembered 05single's eagle eye deal, so I just wanted to give him another idea.
It's all good, I thought it was a good idea and yet I'm still the only one who has the eagle eyes for puddle lamps :shrug: lol

But this sanding down the lens is pretty genius. Worked out perfectly. I vote sticky!:deal:

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
05Single..... :beer:

Your eagle eye was next, if my experiment didn't work. .... I try improving OEM first. My clear lens / LED still won't be as bright as your mod, ( which is very cool & more effective)....

But let's see when I get a 'panel LED' if it's brighter than what I have now...

I have been considering a second light mounted on the bottom of the door panel -toward-ground, taping off the lens on the lower panel. That will light up the step & ground whenever you open the door. Hmmmm....

under door panel location.jpg

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all good, I thought it was a good idea and yet I'm still the only one who has the eagle eyes for puddle lamps :shrug: lol

But this sanding down the lens is pretty genius. Worked out perfectly. I vote sticky!:deal:
I must know, what is the eagle-eyes for the puddle light?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518