2004 Tahoe won't shift, no power, transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BT2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have convinced my father in law to sell me his 2004 Tahoe with AWD and Stabilitrak. It was parked on the grass for 3 years. With a new battery and filling up the tires, the engine just purred, even with old gas. When we took it out for a very short test drive, there was horrible noise from the front brakes and she acted like we were dragging an elephant down the road. Meaning when I took my foot off the gas, it immediately slowed right down to a stop.

We assumed the front brakes were locked up. When we parked and checked them, we found the power steering line had a leak. When we topped it off all noises went away and she turned just fine. When we took it back out, it just wouldn't shift out of first gear, but would manually shift ok to 1-2-3. It still felt like the brakes were locked up. And we only had about 15 seconds in drive before the power steering was empty again. Transmission fluid levels are ok.

Since it was pouring rain, we gave up for the day. We are hoping that best case the parking brake or rear brakes are locked up, worst case, it has transmission problems.

Any suggestions? Is a leak in power steering somehow tied to transmission?

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to put the car up on jackstands and go through all the brakes- unfreeze them and bleed.

You have a busted PS line. Look for fluid dripping spraying= probably at joint of Flexible to hard lines or at pump.

3 years sitting on grass.... not good.

OP
OP
B

BT2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. Thanks. We found the leak in Power steering quick. My confusion is, could the leak in PS somehow be tied to the transmission not shifting? I don't think we ever got enough momentum to really shift on its own if it's brakes being locked is the problem. Brakes I'll fix. If bad transmission, we might just retire her.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fakes should have no effect on the trans. Have you checked the trans fluid condition and level?

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok back up for a second. Trans shifts are dependent on multiple things speed throttle input load are the main one if your brakes are dragging as bad as you say I would bet the trans doesnt want to shift because of the extra load. I say this also because you stated that it will manual shift fine. I'd be willing to bet once you fix the brakes everything will be fine. The power steering is not related to the trans. That will be another repair. Frozen calipers are pretty common and can be had pretty cheap at the parts store

Thauber

Reaction score
+1 for what Chris said, if you are pushing it to make it move, then trans will act accordingly by staying in low gear. Any warnings on DIC, such as "Traction Active"?

Press the top button on that AWD selector to the left of the cluster while in park to shut off Stabilitrack and TC (traction control), and see if there is any difference at all.

Have you checked fluid in the front differential and transfer case?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a dirty MAF (mass airflow sensor) can affect shifting as well, before you take it for another spin put a new air filter in it and clean the intake and MAF, pretty easy to do, you can find the cleaner in a spray can at the auto parts store should be $2-3, throttle body cleaner is slightly different but is also $2-3 for a can, take the plastic air intake off and just clean up the maf it comes off pretty easy, also clean the throttle body it can stay on the intake you don't have to remove it.

OP
OP
B

BT2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome feedback! Thank you. We don't know if the brakes are locked up, since we gave up troubleshooting in monsoon like rains. If it isn't the brakes, I had the concerns over the transmission. We'll try some of these suggestions if the brakes check out OK. I sure appreciate the tips. I'm really hoping for good luck tomorrow and drive her back home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts