2004 Tahoe operating temp issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@iamdub , @swathdiver , @wjburken , @Doubeleive - Any suggestions for finding a pic or more details regarding that restrictor in the radiator nipple for the hose going to the reservoir tank?
People have posted various solutions they have tried. One guy used a 45acp casing and removed the primer. Another put a small pipe nipple in there. Someone else simply took a piece of round rod and pipe clamped it parallel to the hose to squish it down.

Never had to deal with it myself…..yet.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Charlie207 posted a few pics in this thread. The restrictor is a small orifice built into the radiator fitting for the small return hose going to the surge tank.

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score
As a temporary test, put some kind of clamp on the return hose that goes into the surge tank. Don't restrict it completely, but see if that helps.
Tried this today, really didn't notice much change in warming up faster, and it still cooled down when I idled it for a bit. I don't know what else to try other than maybe a new GM waterpump and stat, not sure what brand is on it. Radiator is 100% original.

To be clear, yes it does get up to temp, it just takes longer than it should and it doesn't hold that temp if you let it idle. Also is my lower radiator hose supposed to be cool to the touch?

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score
It sits here when driving.

Attachments

• 20221202_174444.jpg
    20221202_174444.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 7

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a problem with the blend doors out of calibration, stuck, actuators broke or some thing in the duct. The engine cooling system is functioning. Use the search function and find more threads on the engine cooling and cabin cooling/heating and how to calibrate the air flow doors. I recongize the my ecperience is limited and my spelling is varied.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a problem with the blend doors out of calibration, stuck, actuators broke or some thing in the duct. The engine cooling system is functioning. Use the search function and find more threads on the engine cooling and cabin cooling/heating and how to calibrate the air flow doors. I recongize the my ecperience is limited and my spelling is varied.

I would add that the HVAC system will have a negligible affect, if any, on the engine temp. @Scottydoggs' suggestion to replace the thermostat is a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu