2004 Tahoe operating temp issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93M6Formula

Reaction score
So i've had my tahoe for just over a year, it has 107K now. Ever since i've had it, it has trouble warming up. Anything starting around 40 degrees or lower, it takes about 5 miles to get to operating temp, and this is also letting it warm up for at least 5 minutes. At idle it will never get to temp on it's own like any other gassers i've had or like my 08 escalade which sucks because it takes forever to get heat, I pretty much just freeze for most of my commute, it already does terrible on fuel so I don't want to idle it forever either. I replaced the thermostat last winter with a genuine GM to see if it would help and it didn't. It also cools off at idle if you leave it sit for a few minutes. Goes from operating temp (210 on the gauge) to around 170. I see it's had a waterpump at one point and look aftermarket but not sure if that's the cause? If your driving it's fine and stays at temp and heat is great, it just takes forever to get there and won't maintain it at idle. It's bad when my 6.5 diesel pickup warms up faster and holds heat... I would like to get rid of the clutch fan for an 05+ electric setup but I know that's not the root cause here, any ideas??

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score
Cools down to this from "210" at idle.

Attachments

• 20221130_075521.jpg
    20221130_075521.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 11

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is only 3 causes that I know of that could lead to "overcooling" of the engine. (1) Thermostat stuck partially open or wrong temp (2) Thermostatic Clutch fan stuck engaged (they tend to fail the opposite of that) (3) Someone put in an oversized radiator for the application.

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score
I replaced the fan clutch also because funny enough the a/c also sucks when not moving, it didn't help anything either.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a stuck open t stat. id just replace it. i got full heat in less then 2 miles of hwy driving and just a few minutes of idle warm up time. love them heated seats too lol

could also drop some cardboard across 1/2 the rad. that should help it warm up some.

im surprised you dont have a code set for cold temp. not reaching 210º will def hurt your mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157