2004 Tahoe operating temp issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to grab and hold the heater hoses, engine up to temp. see if they are hot. both should be warm to hot. if one is hot and the other cold the heater core might be air bound, or clogged up.

ive got warm air in my hoe as soon as the needle lifts off the lowest temp.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not think that you have a technical problem. I know a lot of cars and they all need different time to get hot. The big V8 engines need longer than modern diesel engines, which have mostly additional heaters to reach fast the operation temperature because of emmision purposes.

See it like this. Engine heat is a waste of propulsing Energie. So ist takes a while until there ist enough energy wasted, to reach operating temperature.

Mine as well needs 5 Kilometers or more to reach temperature.

If you want that you car reach temperature faster, for example if you life in a cold area, use an auxiliary heating system.

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score
So the other day I put a clamp on the hose to the coolant tank so that it barely flowed. It warmed up much faster for sure but then ran a tad warm, but still around 203° according to my scanner. Opened it back up and back to long warm up. And yes the lower hose is cool. Heater hoses are fine, it makes heat. Thinking it's probably going to be just another junk stat, idk why it's so hard to get a good one.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the other day I put a clamp on the hose to the coolant tank so that it barely flowed. It warmed up much faster for sure but then ran a tad warm, but still around 203° according to my scanner. Opened it back up and back to long warm up. And yes the lower hose is cool. Heater hoses are fine, it makes heat. Thinking it's probably going to be just another junk stat, idk why it's so hard to get a good one.
203 is not "a tad warm". Its actually closer to normal.

Start your engine up cold and watch and the temp gauge to see what the highest it achieves until you all of sudden see it start to drop (which means your thermostat just opened up). WOuldnt hurt to ignor your temp gauge and hook up a scanner and get temp data from there while watching temp gauge to see the drop. Your scanner data temp may not respond fast enough for you to get accurate numbers to work with as far as the opening point of the thermostat.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a vehicle that wouldn't warm up, or barely warm up after driving. Some one had cut out the core of the thermostat. It's time to look at the thermostat, just get a new one. Unfortunately, it's a pain to change.

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score

Start your engine up cold and watch and the temp gauge to see what the highest it achieves until you all of sudden see it start to drop (which means your thermostat just opened up). WOuldnt hurt to ignor your temp gauge and hook up a scanner and get temp data from there while watching temp gauge to see the drop. Your scanner data temp may not respond fast enough for you to get accurate numbers to work with as far as the opening point of the thermostat.

I agree, what I mean I guess is that it was warmer than it usually is. The gauge was showing roughly "225" instead of "210".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne