2004 Sub z71 no backlight on gauge cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V327839

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New poster. I finally decided to tackle the weird gauge backlight I’ve had since I bought my Sub used. Check out the pic if it posts right. The tiny bulbs look ok but when I put power to them individually there’s no light. All burned out?? The strip works as it sits so I know backlight power is getting to the cluster. But for reference, please tell me the wires to check to be sure. All other aspects of the cluster work perfectly, just the oe backlights don’t. I would like gauge lights to not look back anymore. Thanks. Searches here didn’t turn up anything. Maybe I missed something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 5

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably all burned out. Here's the pinout for the cluster harness connector. If you apply +12vdc to the A11 pin on the cluster connector, and the supply ground to the A12 pin, you should have 12v at the bulb pins. That will probably tell you all you need to know. Might get by with a 9v battery for supply voltage, or not.

1685759882576.png

Last edited:

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what you're looking for. Thank me later.

OP
OP
V

V327839

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Found I do have proper voltage to cluster connector and finally found voltage at the individual sockets. One randomly started working. Never worked before. Weird. But the others show voltage but don’t work. So, now to find new bulbs.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Search Chevy cluster bulbs and you should get some hits. Lots of the ones offered are LEDs, which will require soldering in with the correct polarity, or OE-style incandescents that are not polarity-sensitive.

The incandescents are T5 12v 95ma bulbs. You re-use the square sockets and swap the new bulbs into the sockets, then solder them to the board.

Can be found here, but a little pricey: https://carradiobulbs.com/store-4/2003-2006-gm-cluster-light-bulb/

OP
OP
V

V327839

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New Amazon bulbs in. Cluster looks great now. Need to adjust the tach needle a touch. Turns out those little plastic bulb sockets are much easier to solder in than I thought. Thanks for the helps. I’m soldering in new bulbs for the climate control unit now. Since everything is going ok, I managed to break the hazard switch just to be stupid I guess. So now a new setup is on the way. Looks like I won’t have to take the steering wheel off to replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korzone