Gauge Cluster Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtPuddin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 04 yukon that im currently freshening up. I have this issue since i got the truck a few months ago where when i turn the key to the second position I just get a check engine light and no calibration sequence. Start the engine and the cluster would sometimes come on and sometimes just have the back lighting. I tossed it up to needing a cluster overrhaul so i had someone replace all stepper motors, leds, ss overlay, and reflow the board. The guy that did it assured me he checked it multiple times and it always works for him. I get it back and still same issue. I get a new cluster harness plug and rewire it thinking that was the issue. Same problem persists. When i used a volt meter to check the orange and black/white stripe wire it showed a constant 12v. Checked the orange with key on and showed 12v. Now since its always been intermittent its hard to know if theres times I dont have power to those pins. I have traced wiring and looked under the dash for any issues but havent seen anything out of the ordinary. As of yesterday the temp gauge stopped working and shows a P0116 code so i replaced the ect sending unit and the harness plug because it fell apart. Temp gauge still not working.

This is the only issue with this truck and I'm at a lose. Everything else electrical related works just fine. I have gone over all the ground wires and even relocated the single wire behind the engine to the firewall to engine ground. Battery shows 12.1 volts resting and 14.4 volts running.

Any input would be greatly appreciated at this point

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cluster was going out randomly, sometimes I'd have backlighting but no needle movement. I ended up getting a reman'd one from Digital Dash Solutions and it was well worth it. Lifetime warranty if you send them your old cluster. Being that you've already invested so much into yours, you may not want to keep throwing cash at the issue.

I would start with checking all of your grounds.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 yukon that im currently freshening up. I have this issue since i got the truck a few months ago where when i turn the key to the second position I just get a check engine light and no calibration sequence. Start the engine and the cluster would sometimes come on and sometimes just have the back lighting. I tossed it up to needing a cluster overrhaul so i had someone replace all stepper motors, leds, ss overlay, and reflow the board. The guy that did it assured me he checked it multiple times and it always works for him. I get it back and still same issue. I get a new cluster harness plug and rewire it thinking that was the issue. Same problem persists. When i used a volt meter to check the orange and black/white stripe wire it showed a constant 12v. Checked the orange with key on and showed 12v. Now since its always been intermittent its hard to know if theres times I dont have power to those pins. I have traced wiring and looked under the dash for any issues but havent seen anything out of the ordinary. As of yesterday the temp gauge stopped working and shows a P0116 code so i replaced the ect sending unit and the harness plug because it fell apart. Temp gauge still not working.

This is the only issue with this truck and I'm at a lose. Everything else electrical related works just fine. I have gone over all the ground wires and even relocated the single wire behind the engine to the firewall to engine ground. Battery shows 12.1 volts resting and 14.4 volts running.

Any input would be greatly appreciated at this point
usually this is due to poor battery ground and 12.1v to me seems a tad bit on the low side.
you may want to consider cleaning the battery terminals/connectors with a wire brush and battery ground wire as well, even if it looks fine visibily.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, Ground Zone 18 is for the IPC. It's one of the two that are under the truck, on the body mount next to the frame, below the driver's door hinge. Clean those and see if that helps. Believe there is a similar ground on the passenger side, just behind the right front tire.

4x4 Left_Side_Frame_Rail_Grounds.jpg

EDIT: ZOOMABLE PDF ATTACHED WITH CLUSTER GROUNDS MARKED

Attachments

• Grounds - GMT800 Body Grounds for Cluster.pdf
    64.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts