LED's in Cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, putting LED strips in the cluster is VERY do-able. If you have a single color, it can all be soldered up inside the cluster and be completely plug and play. But if you want the color changing strips, then you will have to run an external controller mounted somewhere in the dash (which I'm sure you already know about). As far as all the other dash switches, there really is not much room inside them to fit LED strips. The AC control panel is about the only one that you can squeeze them into. I do use them in headlight switch as well, but I have to cut and solder the strip in several places to get each LED to line up behind the icons on the front of the switch. I SERIOUSLY doubt that you can do that with a color changing strip. As far as the 4x4 switch, traction control switch, rear wiper/foglight switch, and all the door panel switches, those all need to be done with bare 5mm LEDs and 3mm LEDs with resistors. Strips simply will not fit AND allow the switchpanel buttons to operate properly. The Overhead rear AC control panels can have strips fitted into them, that's about the only other ones with enough room inside the switch panel.

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome scottyb,.. thank you for sharing that,..you would happen to have a pic of the one above after completion with face in place ? Just want to get a feel for the final look.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome scottyb,.. thank you for sharing that,..you would happen to have a pic of the one above after completion with face in place ? Just want to get a feel for the final look.

Here's the same one in white but completed. NOTE: White LEDs appear light blue unless you meticulously scrape the blueish film off the back of the gauge overlay like I did on this cluster. The blue film MUST be removed if you want a pure bright white color. IMG_20171128_224716711.jpg

And here is one that I did in blue LED strips. When doing blue, you do NOT need to scrape the gauge overlay at all. IMG_20180123_130351171.jpg IMG_20180123_131609905_HDR.jpg

mgbgene

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So im really NOT a big fan of LED's everywhere,..although I do like the look they provide in the dash cluster,...so is it a big PITA to install cluster LED's?,.. are there diodes and soldering involved with relays and all that BS that goes along with led's ??? :eek:
My 05 Yukon gauges went nuts on me so I found this company https://circuitboardmedics.com pulled it out and sent it to them back in like 3 days...they will change the color of the leds for you plus the stepper motors...everything works great highly recommend them..

matt00

Reaction score
My 05 Yukon gauges went nuts on me so I found this company https://circuitboardmedics.com pulled it out and sent it to them back in like 3 days...they will change the color of the leds for you plus the stepper motors...everything works great highly recommend them..
How much did they charge you?

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't remember exact price but pretty sure right around $300..check out their website

Wow that's a lot of money. For a fraction of that you could have bought the parts and soldered them in yourself or paid someone locally to do it. It's pretty easy. I did mine with 5mm LEDS FOR $10 but I'm gonna give the strips a try

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz