2004 Silverado 2500 Quadrasteer --> Quadramax Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Masonry repair = $400. He was supposed to just do a patch job ($400). He did not communicate this to his employee who actually did the work. They tore the bricks all the way out, relevelled the post behind them, and then remortared the bricks! Oh! And there were 2 bricks at the front of my house I had partially damaged with a trailer a year ago; cosmetic only damage that time. But he repaired those as well.

We also found out he did tile work; we had previously moved some cabinets in our kitchen, and needed a dozen tiles to fill the whole. We could not find matching tile ANYWHERE. He quoted us $450 + we would pay for hardybacker, cement, and grout. Cam out to $475, but I paid him $480. HE found matching tile!!! And enough sop we have 1/2 dozen spares now, too!

The garage door repair cost $1100, approximately.

I'm still trying to get the contact information from my wife for the painter, so the door will match the other side again.

I also have to find a replacement hose roller, as the one we had was between the truck and the garage door...

***** No GMT800 vehicles were damaged in this incident -- by the grace of God. Nor was the idiot who caused the problem in the first place, unless you include pride. That was very damaged) *****
Might be late to the party but sherwin willilams has the absolute best color match paint. I don’t buy their paint because I’m cheap, but If I ever need to match then they’re my go to.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The garage door has been painted in the last year, so I still have good paint the painter left behind. We're just going to call him to come paint it.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel a little silly providing minor updates like this; so many members do so much more in much less time, but this is what I have:

Got a 2014+ bumper installed. Almost a disaster. If you guys ever go for this, let me tell you the stuff to avoid!
Got my side marker lights working. HOWEVER, one of them fell out. I have to restick the LED.
Got my cab light to stop leaking.
Got my new, LED courtesy lights installed.
Got an aftermarket radio installed. Still need to get cameras and some random extras installed.
"Accidentally" went mudding. I visited a friend in MN, and it snowed or rained almost every day I was up there. His driveway is not gravelled/finished, so there was lots of mud and a hill involved... Got stuck on one try, then realized I was only in 2WD. 4WD got me out.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it up! Regardless how “big or small” the changes, and updates are, they’re helpful and inspiring to some of us.
Heck, I have about 15 little things, and a couple bigger ones to get done ASAP, just having trouble finding the time.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. As an FYI, the box in the bed contains an entire steering column from an '05 or '06 Escalade. I'm going to use the steering wheel in my truck; the airbag and clock spring are going into my daughters 1500 Suburban (to hopefully shut up her airbag light!), and the lock cylinder, I hope, can be used to replace the bad lock cylinder in my Silverado.

I also realized I failed to get a picture of the new, interior lights, so I'll be adding that soon. And I just got a cargo / 3rd brake light, so I'll get some pictures of it.

And thanks for the inspiration -- I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updates:
Thought I had a faulty cargo light. Tried 3 different, additional lights -- none worked. Took it to my radio shop for some unrelated work and discovered I was pushing the wrong button... Stupid, I know, but 1) if it saves someone else from that shame or 2) makes someone laugh who is having a hard time with their truck, I win.

The current 3rd brake light + Cargo light is now chrome instead of smoked... Looks like crap, so I am working up the courage to buy another.

The unrelated work at the radio shop was for them to replace the temporary radio they had installed with the one I paid for (this was planned, my shop is NOT shady). They also installed parking sensors front and rear, and a backup camera. I wanted a 360 degree / bird's eye view system, but that would have been $3800 installed. That kind of money is going into the diesel swap.

I lost both low beams. In testing, I got them to work intermittently. As the radio shop does LED conversions, I went ahead and had them check it (thinking they had access to LED bulbs to test if they wanted to). Turned out both my LEDs were bad.
NOTES: I tested fuses, relays, and (I thought) bulbs. The bulbs worked when the headlight was disassembled, but would not work when it was put back together. The lights from the stereo shop were $75 for the pair, installed, and they guarantee there work. So if their diagnosis was bad, they would make it right. No problems since the swap.

Additional:
My friend has his shop in MN; he powder coated my jack bracket for me. I'll try to get a picture on here sooner rather than later (and I still owe one for my door courtesy lights)
I also had the opportunity -- the first time since I have owned the truck! -- to thoroughly vacuum it. It wasn't near as clean as I would have preferred, but it made it look so much nicer and I felt better. Go figure. :)
I now need to fix the rear passenger door so it responds to the auto lock/unlock; I believe it to be an actuator issue, but I'm going to look before I just buy something.
I need to fix the front passenger door because the sensor in it only registers when I open the door; the interior lights time out in like 15 seconds or so.
I also need to troubleshoot why my windows move so slowly, in addition to the lights flickering (i.e. is it a ground issue, do I need to replace the motors, or can I get by with a thorough cleaning)
I need to investigate further as to why the front passenger door lock slider won't stay in. I'm either going to have to do a repair to the door panel or replace it. Fortunately I already have a spare door panel.
I've been watching FB Marketplace for used tires and/or rims. I don't want to put new tires on it until the suspension is repaired/updated. I'm aiming for $500 or less for the whole "package" -- please wish me luck!
I have a rocker panel that is rusted through. It's on the driver's side -- the passenger side is fine (I had a body shop look). The problem is -- none of the reputable body shops of which I am aware will do a rust repair. So I shopping for a body shop.
Finally, as soon as I get him the plastic for it, I am going to raise the rear seats by 2 inches or less, to give more underseat storage. The shims will go at the originally mounting points, in such a way as to not affect the integrity of the seat attachments in the event of an accident.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of work going into this truck! It’s awesome! A unique build for sure! Following along to see the updates. I love the K2 tow mirrros, especially on a gmt800. They just look correct even though they’re not haha.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... Some updates:

I got my driver's side passenger door lock actuator replaced. Now it worked again with the remote or the buttons in the truck. On the flipside, upon reinstall I broke one of the spacers for the door rods, such that the door could no longer be opened from the inside....

The passenger side, rear door lock actuator went next. So I took a day, replace the spacer for the driver's side passenger door lock actuator/rod -- it works like a charm. I replaced the door lock actuator on the passenger side, rear door. It now works too. And I was even extra careful not to break the spacer the rods plug into... Apparently one broke anyway, and so you can no longer open the door from the inside, but the locks now work with the fob and the buttons. Apparently I am doomed to pull the panel, repair, then pull the same panel again and repair again...

The battery died on it. Had to replace that. It was a Duralast gold under warranty from Autozone -- which they honored. So it only cost me some embarrassment when it died, and the gas to the autozone to get it tested and replaced. Now I need to watch the starter because it feels like it is going out. I'm not particularly pissed; just about everything has given the truck almost 20 years of worry free working.

As an aside, the original battery that came with the truck in June of 2020 was on its last legs when I bought the truck, so this is the third battery that's been in it since I owned it. I kind of wonder what is eating them, though it simply could be Texas heat.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 11.17.06 AM.png

This is the passenger side front door. Note the sliding piece of plastic that is missing. Asd I'm hoping to only take this door apart once, I am waiting until I get a door lock actuator to check why the panel refuses to securely hold the lock slider.
Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 11.17.49 AM.png

This is the driver's side passenger door. I'm hoping to replace the red reflector with a powered light, very similar to the front door light. But I need to get the wiring harness for the door, and I am trying to see if there is a wiring harness that goes back to the fuse box so I don't have to run my own, independent wiring.
Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 11.22.13 AM.png

For those of you that have an angry alien without the rear AC/Heat controls, do you know if there is a pocket liner?
Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 11.23.04 AM.png

This is the powder coated jack bracket. Note the distinct lack of a jack on it... I have to get that added back in, sooner rather than later.
20230706_104247.jpeg