2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading your review on Vinci awhile ago and it stuck in my mind. I think I'm fairly sold on using the 224/228 I have and then getting with Vinci for a custom cam for my Silverado where "Max power" is more important to me. Plus I don't want to wait for a custom cam. I think I can have this thing together sometime next week/weekend depending on my choice of what to do with the heads.

Also on cam consideration, it's difficult to find much info on cams for something heavy and stick shift but in the short time I had the 224/228 in my Silverado it drove very well out of boost. Plus it sounded cool
If you were to ask Roger about a cam for a heavy ass SUV with a manual trans I’m sure he would be full of answers. The guy is super smart. He designs/ engineers their cams. But I understand your time issue too.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok as I ponder the meaning of life this morning I realize I need help deciding what I should do to this thing.

Things I need help deciding on:

-ARP head bolts or go straight to studs?
-Replacement LQ4 or LS9 gasket?
-Trunion Upgrade?
-Keep the sissy 212/218 or go bigger?
-If I go bigger throw the 224/228 I have in it and custom spec something for my RCSB or custom spec something for this?
-Have 862s worked over like it had before or throw the PRC heads I have for the RCSB on it and get something different for it?
-Other crap I'm not thinking about.....

-ARP head bolts or go straight to studs?

With as much as you open engines, I'd be inclined to suggest studs. But, ARP direct-replacement bolts at least.

-Replacement LQ4 or LS9 gasket?

Stock replacements are fine, unless you plan to boost.

-Trunion Upgrade?

Absolutely. Any time you go above stock spring rate and cam size, you should upgrade the rocker bearings.

-Keep the sissy 212/218 or go bigger?

The 212/218 is a mild cam in a 5.3, so it's even less cam in a 6.0. If you have a larger one available and you already have the engine torn down, go for it. Anyone doing a mild 5.3 build or AFM delete would love to take that sissy cam off your hands if you had no other use for it.

-If I go bigger throw the 224/228 I have in it and custom spec something for my RCSB or custom spec
something for this?

All depends on what you want for each vehicle. As far as low-end grunt, that 224/228 is about as big as you'd wanna go. But, yours is a manual and has 3.42s so you can afford to get a little wilder with the cam. If you're fine with "just a little more" in the Tahoe than what you had before and you really wanna get it back on the road ASAP, roll with it. Save the donkey dick camming for the RCSB toy.

-Have 862s worked over like it had before or throw the PRC heads I have for the RCSB on it and get something different for it?

Again, depends on what you want out of each vehicle.

Do stuttering people stutter when thinking to themselves?

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

How do you respond when someone says you're in denial, but you're not?

The guy that discovered milk- what was he doing with that cow?

If you hit yourself and it hurts, are you weak or strong?

Are oranges named "oranges" because oranges are orange or is orange called "orange" because oranges are orange?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

If you hit yourself and it hurts, are you weak or strong?

Are oranges named "oranges" because oranges are orange or is orange called "orange" because oranges are orange?
WOW! Some things to think about.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First an update then I'll get to @iamdub awesome response. :happy175:

Machine shop is bumping me to first in line and I might even have the 862s back this weekend. The 224/228 is going in because its here and @randeez and @Rocket Man made me.

I got everything torn down except moving the ac compressor and pulling the front cover. Need to do a garage clean up before I tear anything else down. With any luck this thing will be rolling mid next week.

Oh and my thumb is doing good I'm glad the valve waited to drop until the day after the stitches came out.
20200917_201435.jpg 20200917_082748.jpg 20200917_192825.jpg 20200917_192837.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Machine shop is bumping me to first in line and I might even have the 862s back this weekend. The 224/228 is going in because its here and @randeez and @Rocket Man made me.

I got everything torn down except moving the ac compressor and pulling the front cover. Need to do a garage clean up before I tear anything else down. With any luck this thing will be rolling mid next week.

Oh and my thumb is doing good I'm glad the valve waited to drop until the day after the stitches came out.
View attachment 257831 View attachment 257832 View attachment 257833 View attachment 257834
Better wrap that thumb up!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 257831 View attachment 257832 View attachment 257833 View attachment 257834
Oh hell I forgot about the thumb so yeah glad that’s healing good. Too bad an engine can’t self heal, that would be awesome.:cool:

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They only stutter when they do.

Yes

I plead the 5th

Something naughty for sure.

What's the smallest bone in a goat? The terrorist :Jedi:

Orange rhymes with door hinge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed