2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the 4500 make any noise or are those pretty quiet just like the auto?

Hey I just commented on your thread!

It's not silent like an auto, the NV4500 in this truck is louder than the one in my Silverado both are "rebuilt" but the quiet one was rebuilt by Midwest transmission who seems to be one of the top nv3500/4500 shops. The other was built by some dude in a garage so that could be one of the reasons it's louder.

My experience with the NV3500s is that the Magnesium case does a poor job minimizing the noise but also the synchros are much more susceptible to getting hot and noisy. I killed my NV3500 by towing too much too fast and for too long in OD, after that one event, it was extremely loud. Sounded like marbled or rocks in a coffee can being whirled around next to your ear. From my research and friend's experiences with them, that's the only way to really kill an NV3500 so if yours sounds like marbles being whirled it could be a little worn out. If it seems to be more of a sound resonance from the shifter region it's probably normal as that's what mine sounds like.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly the insight I needed! I figured manuals are a louder but depends what manual we are comparing. Yup, Mid west always comes to my head if I ever need to get something done. I dont have a boot on mine or the rubber insulator or whatever its called, so I can def, hear the trans working, and the clutch engaging/slipping. Mine doesn't sound like marbles its a constant mechanical noise, and has a light whine when giving it the beans, but then again the 3500 doesnt use tapered bearings so the gears get spread more than if it were using tapered bearings like the 4500. All in all I think am happy with it, we'll see how it holds!

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly the insight I needed! I figured manuals are a louder but depends what manual we are comparing. Yup, Mid west always comes to my head if I ever need to get something done. I dont have a boot on mine or the rubber insulator or whatever its called, so I can def, hear the trans working, and the clutch engaging/slipping. Mine doesn't sound like marbles its a constant mechanical noise, and has a light whine when giving it the beans, but then again the 3500 doesnt use tapered bearings so the gears get spread more than if it were using tapered bearings like the 4500. All in all I think am happy with it, we'll see how it holds!

The rubber isolator is a must especially if you switch to a Hurst shifter or any shifter with a bare metal rod. Get the biggest boot you can find and layer as much dynomatt and closed cell foam you can under the carpet. My buddy has the full center console in his NV4500 Denali and filled the entire inside of the console with soundproofing foam it's nearly silent but since it's a metal rod connected directly to the trans when you rest your hand on the shifter you can feel/hear the vibration resonance through it. The slight whine is kinda gear dependant for mine and sometimes I feel its not there at all.

Midwest was great to work with I'd totally buy from them again.

In both videos, you can hear the rattle my Tahoe has that comes from the shifter itself, fairly sure its the pivot ball vibrating against the shift gates. The only fix to that would be using something like the 6speed Tacomas have which is a poly pivot cup with a retaining clip but not sure how to make that.

In the second video you can kinda hear the whine it gets in 3rd gear I think. It's hardly noticeable but it is there. In both videos, the phone is mounted just inches above the shifter so I feel the sounds are excessively exastrubated.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the alignment gods at DRZA today. The Belltech bushings did the trick and he got the alignment about as perfect as can be. The truck is considerably more stable, safer, and the no longer shots in a random direction when I romp it.

Bad news is my AC went out again. I see no leak and it had plenty of pressure, too much pressure actually. The high side was right around 350 but the low side was pegged at 120! It was about 95*out. I'm vacuuming the system the refilling to see what happens as nearly every component is new and I don't know what else to do.

Heres some random undershoot pics of the trucks. Also i borescoped my cats Monday and sure enough they are real.

View attachment 278006 View attachment 278007 View attachment 278008 View attachment 278010
Your driveshaft is different in the front custom welded ?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman