2003 Yukon XL SLT DIC and climate control backlights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
So I did a search and didn't see anything specific that has the exact issues as mine....

So I literally just bought the truck. I bought it to get the engine and transmission for a swap but the family likes it and want's me to fix the issues. I'm very new to this chassis. My only other GM is a 2007 Avalanche.

Anyways the lower left part of the dash as well as the information center do not work. The climate control backlights also do not work, and for what it's worth, it seems that the right 12v port is the only one with power. The one with the cigarette lighter seems to have no power. I've read that these clusters have issues, however, all the gauges and other lights work just fine. It's just the information center. I'm not sure if the climate control back lights and the DIC is on the same circuit, but I've checked all fused in the side of the dash as well as under the hood. Could this be a cluster issue more than likely? The steering wheel controls for the DIC do nothing as well. It's just like it's dead.

A separate issue is that the interior lights don't come on when the doors are open but will turn on manually, and I believe that is a separate issue but I figured I'd mention it in this thread in the slight chance that it my be related.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the dome lights, is the Dome Override Button pushed in? It needs to be out for them to work automatically.

If that's not it, does the Retained Accessory Power work? Would your radio continue to play (for about 10 min) if the engine is turned off, but turn off when you open any door?

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
It is not the override switch, I've tried both ways. Yes, the radio continues playing when the key is out.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check for voltage at the power outlet that doesn't work. Fuses for both Cig Lighter and Aux Outlet are in the underhood electrical center.

Capture.JPG

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Well looks like mother nature has helped me answer the DIC question. It was 19 degrees here this morning and I started the truck up and BAM. DIC all bright and pretty. However, it will not stay on once everything is warmed up. Seems to me like the solder joints are ****** or something. Which, if that is the case, makes me thing the solder on the climate control unit is ****** too because that thing has a mind of its own. Oh and Fless thank you very much for that advice, I'll check that out today.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"New" (rebuilt) clusters are pretty cheap. New lights (can add LED swap for just a few $ more), everything checked or replaced. They are nice!

$180 repair yours
$280 exchange for rebuilt (with lifetime warranty)

HVAC controls also pretty cheap for new replacements.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
"New" (rebuilt) clusters are pretty cheap. New lights (can add LED swap for just a few $ more), everything checked or replaced. They are nice!

$180 repair yours
$280 exchange for rebuilt (with lifetime warranty)

HVAC controls also pretty cheap for new replacements.
Let me get some mechanical stuff knocked out and I'll be all over this. Thanks a lot.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well looks like mother nature has helped me answer the DIC question. It was 19 degrees here this morning and I started the truck up and BAM. DIC all bright and pretty. However, it will not stay on once everything is warmed up. Seems to me like the solder joints are ****** or something. Which, if that is the case, makes me thing the solder on the climate control unit is ****** too because that thing has a mind of its own. Oh and Fless thank you very much for that advice, I'll check that out today.
Regarding your climate control, it’s highly likely the knobs have some corrosion in them (rheostats), and some contact cleaner will help that. I also took the advice of a fellow TYF member, and after doing the contact cleaner many times, with only a temporary solution, I tightened the posts into my drill chuck, and spun forward and back (very carefully), to clean them up more thoroughly -and of course more contact cleaner). This has alleviated the issue for me for at least two years, so I’m confident there was corrosion in there the action cleaned out. I also had purchased a spare climate control module, in case I needed it, but as it’s sitting in a box in my spare parts pile, hasn’t been needed as yet.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Where exactly did you put the contact cleaner?. I may try this. I was about to take it apart and look at the solder joints. It has no back lights at all. Thing is, I know the 02 sensors were cut, I have a knock sensor warning and every now and then I have multiple missfires at start up. However, turning it off and restarting after it warms up just a bit fixes it. I really think the missing 02 sensors throw it off. My Avalanche is down to to stupid as DoD junk but hopefully it'll be up and running soon and I can park this Yukon and fix it's many issues. It's only 2wd but I love this thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094