2002 Tahoe Z71 Sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I admit I don't know much about the audio and but I am looking to upgrade the factory 8" sub in this truck. I don't need anything insane and I am not really looking to spend a lot of money.

I see Planet Audio makes a 8" 1,200W peak, 600W RMS sub (AC8D) that fits in the factory box. I'd like to run am aftermarket sub but I don't know what size amp I need... I vaguely remember when I hooked up the aftermarket head unit several years back that I originally had no audio because I forgot to hook up the factory amp signal wire; is this going to cause an issue once I run an aftermarket amp or am I basically just going to bypass the factory amp?

Thanks

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your time and money and just go with something in a ported box. It'll sound way better and you'll get way more out of your investment. But that's just my 2 cents, coming from someone who has 4 12's. I'd stay away from anything planet audio. If you do something in the stock location I think Sundown Audio should have a 8" that fits. I "bypassed" my factory amp by running a non Bose harness and ran amplified door speakers. But given that your head unit has RCA preouts you should be fine in that area. Hope this helps.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with CJ. If you have the space available, buy a 10" or 12" sub, and put it in its own free-standing box, preferably matched to the specific characteristics of the actual sub that you purchase and put into it.

Personally, I prefer a 10" sub over larger subs, and in a sealed box, because I believe that it provides the best sound quality, and I do not need the additional volume level that the ported box provides, that will set off nearby car alarms, or let folks know you are coming 2 blocks away. But, there is no right or wrong decision here, only what suits you to your personal tastes.

I bypassed my Bose system entirely and installed an new system (not totally brand new, but partially re-purposed from a custom installation in my previous Yukon), from head unit, to speakers, to amps. While a Bose system is a great system and loved by many, it did not suit my specific tastes for music reproduction.

I described my audio system in a previous post, so I will list the link below for you to view. I planned out my total budget in advance, selected components that I could afford at each stage and were compatible with my ultimate audio system goal and total budget, and then I performed the upgrade in stages.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ory-bose-speaker-upgrade.107160/#post-1279157 Post #2

I also described my custom downward-firing sealed sub box with an Audiomobile 10" sub in a previous post, along with a photo of the installation, so I will list the link below for you to view.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/second-row-sub-box.107790/#post-1286205 Post #10

I wish you the best of success in your audio system upgrade project.

OP
OP
zraffz

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not looking to relocate the sub or buying a $150 box to go under the rear seat. This truck is not a daily driver but does get used for family "trips" to go shopping for groceries and needs to also have room for a stroller (or perhaps two in the future.

I am not looking for anything outrageous or expensive. I had a truck with an 18" 10,000 watt sub close to 10 years ago and I don't have any interest in something like that again.

Thank you both for your help.