2002 Tahoe Z71 5.3l - stainless steel brake hoses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I did my brakes in stages to know what worked. I replaced front and rear rotors and pads with power stop z36 extreme.Broke them in drove it 1000 miles-not happy with it.Installed the good ridge brakelines front and back.Huge difference in power of pedal immediate notice.Brakes still not stopping as fast as i want especially with only towing a 3000lb boat.Bought new baer sport rotors and pads 07-14 tahoe and power stop red front calipers for a 08 tahoe installed and thats were im at today.Happy with the brakes.So money well spent on brake pedal feel for the lines.Stopping distance drastically reduced after the 07-14 upgrade im good now and dont have to worry about someone stopping to quick in front of me towing my boat.

Attachments

• lake geneva 3-22-2021 water temp 48 140.JPG
    lake geneva 3-22-2021 water temp 48 140.JPG
    688.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did my brakes in stages to know what worked. I replaced front and rear rotors and pads with power stop z36 extreme.Broke them in drove it 1000 miles-not happy with it.Installed the good ridge brakelines front and back.Huge difference in power of pedal immediate notice.Brakes still not stopping as fast as i want especially with only towing a 3000lb boat.Bought new power stop front rotors and calipers for a 08 tahoe installed and thats were im at today.Happy with the brakes.So money well spent on brake pedal feel for the lines.Stopping distance drastically reduced after the 07-14 upgrade im good now and dont have to worry about someone stopping to quick in front of my towing my boat.
Yup. Sounds like we have the same setup. Only complaint I had, is the Goodridge kit did not properly fit the 5th (center-rear) hose, which is apparently a known issue. I had a local shop make me a replacement, for about $40, and it works perfectly.

ETA: overall, after doing these upgrades, the braking system feels like a completely different vehicle. When I bought her, I felt like the brakes were just barely adequate. Now, I have absolute confidence, and she stops on a dime, if needed.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Yup. Sounds like we have the same setup. Only complaint I had, is the Goodridge kit did not properly fit the 5th (center-rear) hose, which is apparently a known issue. I had a local shop make me a replacement, for about $40, and it works perfectly.

ETA: overall, after doing these upgrades, the braking system feels like a completely different vehicle. When I bought her, I felt like the brakes were just barely adequate. Now, I have absolute confidence, and she stops on a dime, if needed.
Yes Sam i think i was the guinea pig for that fiascal when i did it in 2017.They had no part back then so i had to make it work and cut the line no biggie-but when your on your last line and find that out your not happy.

Attachments

• Goodridge brake lines 026.JPG
    Goodridge brake lines 026.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Goodridge brake lines 028.JPG
    Goodridge brake lines 028.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Goodridge brake lines 034.JPG
    Goodridge brake lines 034.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I’d still be willing to bet 75% of the difference is because they’re new- brand new hoses would feel better too. They aren’t rubber inside.
What do you mean stock rubber brake hoses are all rubber inside and out.Their is a slight possibility that inside could have a fabric netting thats it.After you install stainless brake lines you will never go back to rubber ever again.New or old they still flex i agree old ones swell up and are way worse but cannot compare a new one with a stainless one.Your brake pedal will feel way firmer and more responsive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SUP SR

SUP SR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just curious, what brand and part number did you install for the stainless braided hoses?
For some reason, the StopTech hose for my 2002 Tahoe, Z71, 4WD only works if the truck came with limited slip differential. Mine has a locking differential and the hose would not screw on to the solid line connector. StopTech Technical Support confirmed this.
I am now trying to figure out what vendor sells the correct stainless hose for my truck.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
“Rubber hoses”: inner liner is a corrosion and brake-fluid resistant compound designed (normally PTFE / Teflon® based) purely to keep the brake fluid in. Around the outside of that, there’s a steel webbed mesh. This is what gives the brake hose its strength and stops it from bulging and deforming. And around the outside of that there’s a slightly thicker rubber coating, which is there to weatherproof the steel mesh.

Regardless, yes, 10-15 year old “rubber hoses” are going to have more flex/expand ability than a brand new hose. I can tell virtually no difference between the new steel braided lines I installed and the new rubber lines I replaced them with after 3 days later. Point is, I’m saying people replace old worn out hoses with new stainless ones and think “wow, these are so much better than rubber.” Yes, better than 15 year old rubber. How much much better is SS tan a new hose? Not near as much. Yes SS are slightly better.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion-i have put them on 5 different vehicles and motorcycles.All made a giant difference. The silverado i put them on had all the hoses replaced just before i bought it.2 weeks later i installed stainless and anyone could feel what a difference they made.Rubber brake hoses are made from edpm rubber applied in layers.Never seen a stock brake hose with a teflon liner and i have cut open alot of them-including the ones off my tahoe.Maybe its just me but i would never put stock rubber brake hoses on a vehicle that weighs over 5000lbs and even more when im towing a 3000lb boat not a chance.

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
You'll love the difference. I can't recall the brand I used, but everything was R&R. If I can find the box I used, I'll be sure to post what I used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz