2002 Tahoe Z71 5.3l - stainless steel brake hoses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUP SR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed all new Z36 Power Stop brake rotors, calipers & pads on my 2002 Tahoe Z71, 4WD. I also tried to install Stop Tech stainless steel brake hoses on the front (Part #: 950.66001). My mechanic could not get them to connect (the rear ones did - Part #: 950.66500). I just called the Stop Tech technical support line and was told because I have a locking differential and not a limited slip differential, the 950.66001 will not fit and Stop Tech does not sell one that does.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone suggest a good high quality brake hose alternative to Stop Tech and where to buy them?

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try these guys:

OP
OP
SUP SR

SUP SR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could try these guys:

I did call buybrakes.com. They could not help, but did refer me to Crown Performance who I am working with now.

OP
OP
SUP SR

SUP SR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I should have said stainless steel reinforced hoses. I understand the following is why to use SS reinforced hoses:

Why braided brake lines?

The intent of braided stainless steel brake lines is to improve brake system effectiveness and longevity as compared to an equivalent system fitted with flexible rubber hoses through near-elimination of hose expansion. ... The stainless wire braid more effectively resists expansion due to pressure inside the hose core.

M123

Viking
Reaction score
I see your point but I can't see the improvement you are looking for.
In my opinion so are the stock break's on the Tahoe the best I have owned on any vehicle originally.

Everything on my Truck are brand new regarding break's, did buy the 7200 lb hose's and have no play, no softness.
What I can see the weakest link in the system are the lines, the design to have them laying on top the frame are just asking for rust.

Anyway hope you will find some solution and find something the fit your presence.

Cheers.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Upgrading your hoses to a stainless brake hose on my tahoe made an absolute huge difference in brake pedal feel.Stock hoses and stock tahoe brakes are junk and you wont no the difference unless you try them.Good ridge is the one i and many on here used.All rubber hoses flex you just dont no it.If you have ever towed anything with a tahoe or suburban then you would no how bad the stock brakes are their horrible.First thing i would change on the design of this vehicle for safety.

Last edited:

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
I’d still be willing to bet 75% of the difference is because they’re new- brand new hoses would feel better too. They aren’t rubber inside.

OP
OP
SUP SR

SUP SR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am still trying to find someone who tried to install front Stoptech hoses and was told they won't fit because they have a locking differential. Really would like to know the brand and part number of stainless steel reinforced hoses that fit a 2002 Tahoe 4WD with a locking differential.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upgrading your hoses to a stainless brake hose on my tahoe made an absolute huge difference in brake pedal feel.Stock hoses and stock tahoe brakes are junk and you wont no the difference unless you try them.Good ridge is the one i and many on here used.All rubber hoses flex you just dont no it.If you have ever towed anything with a tahoe or suburban then you would no how bad the stock brakes are their horrible.First thing i would change on the design of this vehicle for safety.
(2003 Yukon): Agree. After installing stainless braided hoses all around, all 5 rubber hoses replaced, there’s a definite improvement in the solid feel of the pedal. The brakes are 100% solid, no soft / spongy braking at any time, especially under harder braking, they just grab harder. Granted, I also replaced my front calipers with NNBS, as well as Powerstop pads and rotors all around (and Powerstop powder coated rear calipers). I understand the entire system, minus master cylinder has been upgraded at this point, so it’s difficult to point at the stainless lines as particularly beneficial, but I can also argue the pedal feel and solid stops are indicative of the stainless lines. This is a commonly understood benefit of stainless lines, with no expansion of the tubing, as with (even new) rubber lines.