2001 Yukon Fuel Filter Install Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So close to the end of this job. More setbacks, more fun.

I've fought with the 33481 Wix filter for over an hour and I can't seem to get it aligned right for install. I pulled the old one out again and set them close for comparison and it SEEMS like the new one is fatter and longer than the old. It also seems like the old one has a slightly curved neck (possibly bent?) on it while the new one has none.

It looks like the old one is the same part number and same brand, but the last two numbers are hard to read.

Tell me someone else has a clue about this. Does anyone know if you need o-rings too? I didn't see any on the old one.

filter2.jpgfilter.jpg

Last edited:

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old filter looks bent to me. If I remember correctly, these are a bit of a fight to get lined up properly. You need to unfasten the fuel lines from the frame rail at least 2-3 feet before and after the filter in order to give some slack. Get BOTH sides at least mostly tightened before mounting the filter back into the mount/clip on the frame rail. That's my best advice I could give you, Good Luck.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Old filter looks bent to me. If I remember correctly, these are a bit of a fight to get lined up properly. You need to unfasten the fuel lines from the frame rail at least 2-3 feet before and after the filter in order to give some slack. Get BOTH sides at least mostly tightened before mounting the filter back into the mount/clip on the frame rail. That's my best advice I could give you, Good Luck.

To me that old one looks to have a bent fitting on one end, probably done when installed to get it to line up. No wonder the later trucks have a quick connect on one end.

OP
OP
J

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I got it.

Scottyboy was right. I ended up completely removing the filter mount, then I fed the smaller non flared side of the filter into it a little. After that, I unclipped the fuel lines on both sides of the filter and then screwed the side on that's closer to the fuel pump. I then took a small rubber mallet and tapped the mount further down. I then screwed in the other side of the filter and finished screwing in the mount.

By the way, you do need o-rings. They're the diameter of the eraser on a pencil and they sit on the ends of the flared fuel lines that go into the filter.

By a stroke of complete luck I managed to see that 1 was gone and found it on the ground; there's dirt and leaves eeeeeverywhere.

Last edited: