2001 tahoe getting warm please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let the car get up to operating temp. Sounded like the clutch engaged and disengaged the whole time until it reached just below 210 on the dash then stayed constant. But didn’t sound any different or appear to spin any quicker. When I shut it off the fan stops immediately. Spinning it as hard as I Can I get maybe 2 fan blades worth of movement

Ok, so it appears that the fan clutch is ok. Or at least it is right now. Keep checking it a lot, ESPECIALLY when it starts to overheat. I had an old Cutlass with a fan clutch that was giving me hell trying to figure out why it was running hot. We finally saw that the fan clutch was only engaging sometimes. One day it would work fine, then one day it would not engage at all. So KEEP checking it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd check it next time it overheats, see if it's still spinning fast or if looks like it's changing speed or slipping.

OP
OP
S

sikchevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, the fan is really load and pushing a lot of air at cold start up. It seems to stay engaged for a while after startup. But when the car is getting over 210 and I rev the engine I can’t hear the fan. So I’m thinking that it might be having some issues. I have a 2002 avalanche and I’m going to just swap the fans and see if that fixes the problem before I throw more money at it. Thanks for all the info. I’ll post back after I figure it out

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the fan is really load and pushing a lot of air at cold start up. It seems to stay engaged for a while after startup. But when the car is getting over 210 and I rev the engine I can’t hear the fan. So I’m thinking that it might be having some issues. I have a 2002 avalanche and I’m going to just swap the fans and see if that fixes the problem before I throw more money at it. Thanks for all the info. I’ll post back after I figure it out

Good idea for a quick test.

I will say that it's common for the fan clutch to be "engaged" at cold startup. If you rev and hold the engine around 3,000 RPM, you should hear the fan's roaring quickly fade as the clutch releases. Of course, if you're idling a red light and the temp gets to 215-220ish, you should hear the fan roar again when you accelerate.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would invest in a new sensor for the gauge-that is the sensor with a two wire connection. The sensor with 3 wires connects to the PCM. It is very possible that the sensor is failing-GM and other manufacturers buy sensors according to cost, not quality.
Larry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwill205