2001 Tahoe 5.3L - Stall while driving, starts but doesn't build pressure to run.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been reading everything I can to see whats wrong with my Tahoe. I feel that it all leads back to a faulty fuel pump but some of my symptoms, I feel, do not match exactly what happened to me tonight. Maybe I over looked something, so I'm throwing it out there for feedback and thoughts if you have a second. Appreciate your time in advance!

I have roughly 146K miles on this Tahoe, runs like a dream, runs strong! Tonight I started her up, threw her in drive and maybe 50 feet later I got the put-put feeling associated with what I thought was out of gas, then she stalled out. I immediately thought I was out of gas and maybe my gauge was wrong as my last car had a similar issue if I ignored the low reading for too long.

I put 2 gallons in, started the car right up. I drove a few feet before stalling out once again. I assumed I needed more gas for a larger and older vehicle so I put another 2 gallons in. I noticed then the gauge went from 1/2 to 3/4 tank so that dismissed my "out of fuel so you fried the fuel pump" theory. Car starts effortlessly, but when pedal pressure is applied it inevitably stalls out. If I let her idle for too long, roughly 30 seconds, the rough idle will stalls out as well.

I read all the forums; listen for fuel pump hum, pump relay switch faulty, faulty fuel pump, clogged line, air in lines, turn "on" but dont start for 10 minutes, turn "on" then off 5 times to get air out, catalytic converter this, ignition switch filthy that, etc... but ultimately still not sure. The reason as to why I'm asking, does a weak/failing fuel pump allow the car enough gas to start but not run? I never found an answer to that question. Maybe its something different entirely?

Appreciate the love, thank you!
Charles

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the fuel pump, lines, connectors can do that. Do you have a fuel pressure tester? If not you can borrow one from your local parts house. There may be other issues so the scan for codes is important. Several things can cause this.

OP
OP
Charles Kazemi

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes the fuel pump, lines, connectors can do that. Do you have a fuel pressure tester? If not you can borrow one from your local parts house. There may be other issues so the scan for codes is important. Several things can cause this.

Thanks for advice. The autoshop in my neighborhood rented it out, gonna try again tomorrow. Thank you!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

This does sound like a failed fuel pump. Just enough pressure to start the engine but not enough to handle a load, like trying to drive it. This may be in your future:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=91205&cc=1371620&jsn=2255

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1300750&cc=1371620&jsn=2276

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...+relay,fuel+pump+/+circuit+opening+relay,3380 for the AC Delco relay

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for testing fuel pressure. A faulty MAP or MAF could cause similar symptoms, but yours really sound like it's a weak fuel supply. As Ron said, it's supplying just enough fuel to support idle, but not any load which is when the injectors are trying to supply more fuel that's not there.

chilerancher

Reaction score
+2 for fuel pressure test. If fuel pressure checks out, then consider this data point... Our 2002 Yukon XL 5.3L stumbled and stalled on a road trip last year. No codes. On the side of the road it would start but then stumble and stall when mashing on the gas pedal. Seemed like a fuel supply issue. After a few minutes it started back up and we were able to get back home (450 miles) with no issue. Over the next few months the problem recurred, same pattern. No codes. Fuel pressure checked out. (I replaced the filter anyway, didn't fix the problem.) This forum led me to suspect the crankshaft position sensor. I replaced that and haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
Charles Kazemi

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

This does sound like a failed fuel pump. Just enough pressure to start the engine but not enough to handle a load, like trying to drive it. This may be in your future:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=91205&cc=1371620&jsn=2255

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1300750&cc=1371620&jsn=2276

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...+relay,fuel+pump+/+circuit+opening+relay,3380 for the AC Delco relay

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Thanks for insight, I'll keep that in mind for future posts regarding the signature info. I'll see if I can get the other stuff uploaded ASAP. I did just get the pressure gauge so I'm gonna give that ashot this afternoon. But to answer your last question, no modifications, bare bones. No recent mechanical work either.

Thanks for the help here!

Chuck

OP
OP
Charles Kazemi

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+1 for testing fuel pressure. A faulty MAP or MAF could cause similar symptoms, but yours really sound like it's a weak fuel supply. As Ron said, it's supplying just enough fuel to support idle, but not any load which is when the injectors are trying to supply more fuel that's not there.

I appreciate this, thank you for the feed back!

Chuck

OP
OP
Charles Kazemi

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+2 for fuel pressure test. If fuel pressure checks out, then consider this data point... Our 2002 Yukon XL 5.3L stumbled and stalled on a road trip last year. No codes. On the side of the road it would start but then stumble and stall when mashing on the gas pedal. Seemed like a fuel supply issue. After a few minutes it started back up and we were able to get back home (450 miles) with no issue. Over the next few months the problem recurred, same pattern. No codes. Fuel pressure checked out. (I replaced the filter anyway, didn't fix the problem.) This forum led me to suspect the crankshaft position sensor. I replaced that and haven't had a problem since.

I've tried relocating the truck to another spot to work on it, it actually puttered around the block and made it home. Gonna diagnose the fuel pump today, fingers crossed its an easy sensor fix like yours! Thank you for your two cents, I'm really digging this forum and the support!

Chuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71