2001 Tahoe 5.3L - Stall while driving, starts but doesn't build pressure to run.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Charles Kazemi

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gotta verify fuel pressure first. Faulty new pumps are far from unheard of. Your best chances at getting a good one is to use an ACDelco or Delphi pump. GM vehicles seem to eat up aftermarket brand pumps. Did the new pump have the updated bulkhead harness connector?

I went to Napa, I'm a fan of that brand. Yes, spliced the fuel pump and new harness. I'll report back once I recheck the pressure. Thanks!

Is your SES light on?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
May have a cat(s) problem from being clogged but still need to get a pressure reading from that new fuel pump. What brand pump is it?

OP
OP
Charles Kazemi

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
May have a cat(s) problem from being clogged but still need to get a pressure reading from that new fuel pump. What brand pump is it?

I got the Napa NNP C0175M pump.

I ran the pressure check and sitting at 48 PSI, significantly better than yesterday but from what I've learned, still low...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you say it stalls, is it when sitting there idling in gear, in park or when try to accel from a stop?

OP
OP
Charles Kazemi

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you say it stalls, is it when sitting there idling in gear, in park or when try to accel from a stop?

That was a post from yesterday after I installed the pump. So filter and pump replaced, the truck idled but when in drive idled very low and eventually stalled (while accelerating). The truck sat over night, and drove significantly better today. I got around to checking the PSI this afternoon and it got to 48 PSI (which is still pretty low I gather). Kind of clueless from this point. Regulator, crankshaft sensor? Not too sure anymore...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think that 48 psi while running is low. Is yours a Flex Fuel engine, or straight gas?

Are you monitoring the psi while driving?

OP
OP
Charles Kazemi

Charles Kazemi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think that 48 psi while running is low. Is yours a Flex Fuel engine, or straight gas?

Are you monitoring the psi while driving?

Straight gas, I have not been checking pressure driving. Just at idle. I really appreciate your feedback.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any new codes? Even stored codes? Silly question but how much gas is in the tank?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
48 psi at idle seems very god to me. If parked, what is the pressure when rev the engine and can you monitor it while driving. A longer adapter hose to snake out from under the hod and tape to windshield. You may have a problem with the trans???????