2001 Lifter rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when my oil is low throw in a quart of trans fluid. How long do I let it idle? Then just change the oil as normal?
I have a 72 Buick. I can drop some trans fluild in the carb while it is running and that will clean it?
Dont worry about your oil needing to be low and you DO NOT drive while cleaning out inside of the engine when you run tranny fluid in your oil. Let engine run idle in driveway for 15-30mins and then do a regular oil change. Filter and oil. Anything with a carb just add the tranny fluid to your fuel tank (Mower, Motorcyle, etc.). If you just dump tranny fluid down the throat of your carb in wont be cleaning out the fuel bowl and passageways within the carb. On motorycles, mowers, etc. just run fuel low to 1/2 to 1/4 gal left in fuel tank and then add 4-8oz of tranny fluid and run them. You can use the engines if you add tranny fluid to the fuel but NEVER if you add it to the oil. Just idle only, no working load like mowing or riding a motorcyle. To clean your piston crowns and valves just let engine idle and using a spray bottle mist water into the throat of the carb. This works on any engine. Never just dump water out of a container into a carb.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will not hurt seals in the motor when I run trans fluid in it? I am due for a oil change about the time it runs low again. Good time to do the trans fluid thing and see what it does.
Transmissions have seals made of same type of material that your rear and front main seals are made out of. Wont hurt a thing. I can confirm that GM tranny fluid is good to go on the 5.3 and 6.0 Tahoe and Yukon Denali and the 5.7L Gmc Sierra among many other Vehicle ive had over the years. I actually learned this trick from an old timer. It was a common practice used of all the old farmers on their tractors and personal vehicles. This maintenance practice is atleast 70yrs old. Works fine for fuel injection too.

07YUKONXL534x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you like your truck, put a new cam and lifters in it and roll on. Your mileage is low...for that engine. The factory lifters are the problem and now your factory cam is likely worn.

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say from personal experience.use a ac Delco oil filter.in my last 3 oil changes I was having same issue.oil pressure was all over the place I thought my motor was starting to go out.once it got all the way up to temp it went away.talking to a friend of mine he suggested trying the filter on my next change.i immediately went bought the AC Delco filter an did an oil change an got fantastic results..at start it climbed to 40 psi instantly..before this it would climb to under 20 an clank and click away.i would have to rev it up to get the psi to even climb sometimes..I couldn't believe the filter was causing my issues

mpyrol

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same issue in my 03 Yukon. I used marvelous mysterious oil and it cleared up. It took weeks for it to work. I just used the guidance on the bottle. Car dealers use that stuff all the time. On one of my other vehicles 5.4 it didn't work. I ended up rebuilding that motor. Trans fluid may be better, I was afraid to experiment with it.

hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA