2001 Lifter rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1yesfan

Reaction score
For a long time at cold temps my 01 with 191k on it at cold start up I would get one lifter I guess it is that made the little rattle sound. It went away really quick. Now it seems that more than one are doing it now. After about a minute or so the sounds go away and the motor sounds just fine. Should I be concerned about this> That more than once is making noises now? It now almost sounds like a diesel at start up.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty common on the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0l engines. Also sometimes people confuse piston slap which also very common the LS series design engines. If an exhaust manifold bolt is broken it will mimic the same sounds as lifter and piston slap noise.

If you do your own oil changes run a full quart of tranny fluid in your engine oil and let idle in driveway for 15 mins or so and then drain and oil and filter change. DO NOT DRIVE WITH TRANNY FLUID IN YOUR ENGINE! See if it quiets down or totally goes away.

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
I know this was a problem with these motors. I just only seemed to be dealing with one doing it. Now it seems like Multi. I change the oil regularly and the oil pressure gauges reads fine. Is it ok to drive will they are doing this or should I let them shut up before driving? Right now they shut up pretty quickly, like in less than a minute.
What is the trans fluid doing for me?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this was a problem with these motors. I just only seemed to be dealing with one doing it. Now it seems like Multi. I change the oil regularly and the oil pressure gauges reads fine. Is it ok to drive will they are doing this or should I let them shut up before driving? Right now they shut up pretty quickly, like in less than a minute.
What is the trans fluid doing for me?
You should let engine warm up for a couple mintues before you go anywhere with any engine....Unless its a rental. ;) Transmission fluid is a coolant, detergent, lubricant and hydraulic fluid while inside a tranny. In your engine it is a detergent and will clean the hell out of everything including the internals of your sticky lifters. There is a seal inside them similar to the internal shaft seals in your tranny. It will treat them while cleaning out your lifter guts. And tranny fluid makes for great carb cleaner on your motorcyle, atv, lawn mowers, tractors, etc. Itll smoke a little but wont hurt the engine while its cleaning out the carbs.

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
So when my oil is low throw in a quart of trans fluid. How long do I let it idle? Then just change the oil as normal?
I have a 72 Buick. I can drop some trans fluild in the carb while it is running and that will clean it?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The lifter noise is a common complaint, as Mike said. The better oil you use, hopefully full synthetic, and better oil filter, the better. You do have 191k on the engine though so you may well be at the ending of the life for those lifters. Attempt the cleaning and drain and new oil and filter and report back with results.

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
How long do I let the truck run idle with the trans fluid in the motor?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
10-15 minutes. Drain when oil is hot and do a complete oil change with filter, like Mike said. This is an attempt to help with cleaning the inside of the engine. This is not a guaranteed repair.

Yes, I have used trans fluid thru a vacuum hose before to help clean this out. When you do that it has be added very slowly and keep the rpm's up and be prepared for the white smoke that will roll out. I did that on older carb engines without cats and O2 sensors. I personally would not do that with cats and sensors. It would be safe to try it on your 72 Buick if you want to.

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
It will not hurt seals in the motor when I run trans fluid in it? I am due for a oil change about the time it runs low again. Good time to do the trans fluid thing and see what it does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667