2001 GMC Yukon small oil leak that I got checked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ella ramaley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My yukon has started leaking some drops when parked. I took it to a mechanic to get checked. I was told oil pan gasket 551.00, front diff seal 549.00, and rear main 1006.00. They would take off 200 -300 if I had all done at once.
Is this a decent price for the work? Do I need to have this work done soon for any reason? I plan on using this truck to pull a small camper 2000lb. this summer.
The truck has 130,000 miles on it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would first get a second opinion unless this is a shop you used before and trust them. The leaks you listed are common. The rear main and oil pan gasket work can overlap and that is why the labor could be discounted if done at same time. The front diff can leak in at least 4 places and would be best to know where the leak is to compare the estimate. I would want for you to post up what the breakdown is as to what cost is what. What are the price of all parts and the parts that will be used and who makes them.

If I have not said it before, welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you do have the oil pan gasket done, have them change the O-ring in the oil pump pickup tube. Not knowing what the mileage is on your truck, that O-ring is likely original equipment and deteriorates over time, causing oil pressure issues.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you do have the oil pan gasket done, have them change the O-ring in the oil pump pickup tube. Not knowing what the mileage is on your truck, that O-ring is likely original equipment and deteriorates over time, causing oil pressure issues.

Good call on replacing the o-ring. I just did the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket on mine and also did the o-ring with a brand new pickup tube. I meant to mention that but age got in the way.

Plus, it would help to know where the OP is to have a guess on labor charges.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Low mileage and I am assuming the auto repair shops labor rate is likely in the $80-$100 an hour area. The prices don't seem too high, especially since they said would credit back for overlap labor. I still would want to know who makes the parts they will use. There is crap and there is quality. Crap means you will likely be back in there soon to RE-FIX. If you really like the rig, I would fix. The oil leaks should not cause a towing problem as long as you keep the oil level checked and add as needed. Same on the diff fluid leak. You can do the repairs in steps as well.

Again, I would still get a second opinion based on what I stated earlier. Get a breakdown on what amount is parts, what is labor and the makers of the parts.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just paid $400 to have my rear main seal replaced. Shop around. There are smaller reputable shops who can do a quality repair as well. I supplied my own parts.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those prices are real high imo, even with that “discount ”. Get prices from several shops.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a terrible price.
$2100 for seals? LOL
But I know they need to be done......The rubber seals all go bad....after 15+ years.
But $2100 is a total rip off.

Geez
It would be cheaper to pull the engine and do it while its out.
And front engine seals go bad too alot. That should be replaced.

I did my rear seal when the transmission was out getting rebuilt....so $35 for parts.
All the labor cost is pulling the trans.

At 130K miles you're gonna to need a trans rebuild too if you're gonna tow a trailer.... and a cooler.
So ITS CHEAPER to find a trans guy and have them rebuild the trans and replace the rear seals while its out.
2 birds and all.

Also the oil pressure sensor is prone to leaks too. Replace that as well when the trans comes out.
Its at the back of the engine so easy to get to when the trans it out. Cam Sensor is there too.

OP
OP
Ella ramaley

Ella ramaley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try and get more estimates. Mechanics seemed to awfully busy here though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645