2000 Yukon XL 2500 - Engine Oil Cooler Hose Assembly Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All, new to the forums here with my new to me 2000 Yukon XL 2500. I brought this for some camping trips over the summer with my wife and dogs, but dealing with some issues after working with two mechanics to try and get the engine oil cooler lines replaced.

Basically, the mechanics (from two different shops) are saying the replacement part given by both their supplier and directly from GM will NOT FIT my vehicle. I've scoured youtube, researched parts supplier inventory by vehicle make/model/year, purchased AllData DIY access, bought service manuals with repair procedures, bought haynes/chilton manuals (not covered), verified RPO codes to make sure the oil cooler was factory.

In fact, the only people that I can find to tell me this is the wrong part are the local mechanics I'm trying to have install it. It's clear the OE spec was updated on this part # and the junction block is 100% of a slightly different shape, but I don't know what to tell the mechanic what to do other than to try harder, which seems unwise, coming from someone with no other experience.

Has anyone replaced the engine oil cooler hose assembly who could point me to install steps I could have my mechanic try? Has anyone run into the issue of needing a replacement part and hitting the same wall?

This is an exact drawing of the part that is shown in manuals and is on my truck right now:
bdd0b4210672d1c84af6a9ce43e57f89.png

This is the part that every website and dealer and supplier has given as a replacement:
11930431_acd_15203890_pri_larg.jpg

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 was a transitional year from gen 1 to 3 v8 engines. Which engine is in yours? 5.3, 6.0, 5.7L? May also want to have a look back at moidel year 99 for your hose set also and see if it macthes.
Gotta love transition model years! If they had too many parts from the previous year they used those up until inventory was gone.
Makes sense. Keep costs down and profits up.

On last-year production, sometimes they cut inventory too close and start throwing in parts that were ready for the next model year.
I have heard that was the case for a few lucky 06 owners. A random 07 part found here or there.

Not visible stuff like trim...
Usually parts are engine and drivetrain parts, that the average consumer would probably never now it was from a different model year.
Because it all still works as it should, it is not an issue.
Until something breaks. Then, you have to do some detective work and a lot of research to find the part you need to fix it.

OP
OP
YukonBrian

YukonBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2000 was a transitional year from gen 1 to 3 v8 engines. Which engine is in yours? 5.3, 6.0, 5.7L? May also want to have a look back at moidel year 99 for your hose set also and see if it macthes.
Thanks, the engine is the 6.0 LQ4. I have checked on the earlier generation as well. They lack the junction block that mounts to the side of the engine block and instead they mount to an oil filter adapter that itself mounts to the engine block.

I just got an update from the mechanic this morning saying that they have been working with the dealer and will need to modify the part. It looks like there are some notes on the updated replacement part:

"REFER TO 2002-SERVICE MANUAL FOR PROPER INSTALLATION PROCEDURE; FOR 2000 & PRIOR MAY REQUIRE MOVING THE ENGINE HEATER TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION; MAY BE REQ TO USE 1-15698443 CLIP & ADD A 6.95MM HOLE TO LWR SHROUD OR ORDER NEW SHROUD 15267487; w/ RPO Code AMS,KXL,KWN"

So, it looks like we're trying some of that for now.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
YukonBrian

YukonBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.
Thanks for the welcome! I plan to contribute as much as I can, when I can. For now, it’s hard to describe how much of a newbie I am. There’s a good bit of work I’m planning for the truck to get it in good shape and add some modern creature comforts. Some of that I plan to do myself by hand but some of it I will require a shop/mechanic.

For now, I bought the truck just a couple of weeks back and it has been in the shop getting fixed up for this and a couple of other leaks. Outside of that, the truck runs really well, so I’ll be getting started on fun stuff as soon as this is resolved.

I do hope this very post can help someone later on in my position, as I plan to follow up with everything I discover. I was NOT expecting this curve ball and it has been hell to track down any information about it. I’m hoping to leave a bit of extra information for others who might run in to the same problem. The first mechanic I took it to left me feeling so very hopeless and I hope this can relieve that stress for someone else. They tried to make me feel like I had some vintage 40s Ferrari, completely unknown to the modern world.

Since I haven’t driven the truck anywhere fun other than to mechanics, I can only offer my first picture I snapped when I parked it outside my house.

0494DE13-9F53-4AAE-A9F4-607973A9D4EA.jpeg
Here she is on a rainy Seattle afternoon. I’ve got the missing wheel cap in my mailbox now.

To go back to my newbie part, here’s the process that led me to buying the truck:

1) watch Matt’s off-road recovery on YouTube and see them doing a project with the 8.1
2) look up vehicles that used that beastly engine
3) see it came in a suburban/yukon
4) feel incredible nostalgia for ninth gen SUV’s that I remember riding with my friends in as a kid
5) start shopping for an 8.1 suburban/yukon 2500
6) find an 8.1 on Craig’s list watch it sell in <24 hours
7) cry
8) still feeling like I want the truck and read about the 6.0 being close in power but not in torque
9) rationalize to myself I have nothing large to tow or a strong desire to do so
10) start shopping on Craigslist for a good low mileage vehicle
11) deal with multiple asshats who can’t get their shit together
12) find a nice family guy who wants to sell his beloved truck to my new family
13) take it home (pictured)
14) take it to the mechanics (where I am now)

I’ll do a full write up with plans and pics when I get the truck back, but I’ve been inspired by a lot of overlanding type stuff and will be shooting for at least a moderately capable rig for doing just that with my wife and dogs. Hope to see you around!

OP
OP
YukonBrian

YukonBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, it’s time to bring this saga to a close. Final part selected and fitted was the standard part # 84828850 as recommended by GM, with no modifications needed.

The technician loosened an engine mount to get some additional clearance for the hose assembly to pass through and got it installed with a bit of finagling. This is all well covered on YouTube videos, but home mechanics and shop mechanics have different obligations and inclinations to make things work. Really happy this tech saw it through to the end for me.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the resolution to your issue. Much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts