2000 Tahoe LT Transmission Issue Looking For Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simone Stith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I posted this on an old thread at first. I have a 2000 LT and the transmission won't actually reverse (goes in gear but unless you're on an incline, it won't go backwards) and you have to get up to 15-20 mph then take your foot of the gas momentarily until it kicks to go from 1st to 2nd gear. I'm trying to swap out the transmission and purchased a 4l60e but it seems to be too long to fit. Is there any modifications that can be done or is there a way to determine the exact model that was removed?

Lancem

Reaction score
2wd or 4wd? Should be a 3 piece case, bellhousing, main body, tailshaft housing, older models were two piece with the bellhousing/main body one piece. If I remember right the older 2 piece came in both long and short tailshaft configurations. I'd suggest getting a transmission from something 2000 or after, or if you have to use the one you have then you will probably have to have a driveshaft made to fit.

OP
OP
S

Simone Stith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2wd or 4wd? Should be a 3 piece case, bellhousing, main body, tailshaft housing, older models were two piece with the bellhousing/main body one piece. If I remember right the older 2 piece came in both long and short tailshaft configurations. I'd suggest getting a transmission from something 2000 or after, or if you have to use the one you have then you will probably have to have a driveshaft made to fit.

Its 4wd. A family friend who is a mechanic was saying that the transmission looks like it was from a 2002-2004 model but wasn't 100% sure. Trying to clean it up and get the id off of the one that was taken out to be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn