2000 Tahoe transmission slip from 1-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zippy6989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my 2000 Chevy Tahoe transmission just started slipping out of nowhere from first to second I checked the fluid and it was on the fill mark so I added some to it kind of helped so then I bought some Lucas transmission fix or stop slip I put some of that in there and I'm worried that it's going to go out on me and leave me stranded never had a problem till today and I'm curious has anybody tried changing the shift solenoids inside the transmission to fix this issue

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have the oddball 5.7 version or the newer engine? if you have the 5.7 version its a cheap part to throw at it but its something to try. the throttle position sensor can get funky not throw a code and cause it to act up shifting. regardless lets first go with give us some mlre details including your engine as questioned. also mileage on your truck currently.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 2000 Chevy Tahoe transmission just started slipping out of nowhere from first to second I checked the fluid and it was on the fill mark so I added some to it kind of helped so then I bought some Lucas transmission fix or stop slip I put some of that in there and I'm worried that it's going to go out on me and leave me stranded never had a problem till today and I'm curious has anybody tried changing the shift solenoids inside the transmission to fix this issue
Shift solenoids are not causing your problem and transfix in a bottle will not help. Id put a trans pressure gauge to see if you're getting appropriate line pressure.

If so, one or more of the following could be the cause:

- worn 2nd gear servo piston sealing rings / oring
- worn 1-2 accumulator piston seal
- worn 2-4 band

The first two can be fixed with the trans remaining in the vehicle but the last one requires an overhaul. If you pull the servo, install a corvette 2nd apply servo in place of the existing one - has 13% more apply surface area and may help buy you some more time (assuming the band itself is worn/burnt).

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"slipping from 1st to 2nd"....is 1st gear slipping or is 2nd gear slipping during the transition from 1st to 2nd? In 4th(OD) when you give it moderate throttle does it slip in 4th?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo