20 gallons only?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went to Costco to fill up after the low fuel light came on and it only took 19.8 gallons. It shows full on the gauge and over 460 in range. My last fill up before the light came one (just under 1/4 tank) and it took over 25 gallons. Any ideas?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light comes on when the tank has about 4 gallons left. Sometimes it's clicked off at 19 or 20 gallons but usually 26 to 28 gallons depending on how long the light was on. I would watch it but not worry about it. Could have been a build up of fumes that hadn't purged in time or something like that. One time the pump was clicking incessantly, moved to another pump and same thing. Drove across the street and pumped normal. It's not always our vehicles... I think! LOL

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My 08 6.2L Nali is doing wonky stuff too. We have approx 120k clicks on the clock. Pointing downhill, the sender goes from 1/8 tank and pegs the low fuel chime and the clocks display it’s feeding time. This is a new thing since 96k.

When the truck goes uphill or level it goes back to reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that too, forgot about that! My '06 Pontiac once died as it was nose down while I was closing a gate. Had to push her back onto level ground to get started again and make haste for the gas station!

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My in-laws have step driveway and while dropping something off I backed in and was facing nose down. I left it running and came out and it had shut off and the low fuel was on and the needle showed empty. Coasted down to the level and cranked it over and was able to get it started and drove to the nearest gas station without issue. Guess the pump/sender is near the rear?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all cars and trucks do this, the fuel level sender is on a float, so if you tilt the car front, back or side to side the level will change when your less then a 1/2 tank real easy.

picture a rectangle shaped box, put your sender in the middle of the box, fill it a 1/4 the way up, now tilt the box, all the gas is on the one end and not the sender.

you should have 3-4 gallons left in the tank when the low light first comes on. you are supposed to have a 100 miles of travel left when the light comes on. i suppose they mean hwy miles.

i pushed my 03 2500 hd to its limit once. all hwy. as im watching the needle drop further and further past the line for dead E im like i really need to get gas i pulled off the hwy came to a light and it sputtered, so i turned it off to wait for the light to turn green, fired it up, nailed the gas and killed it again, rolled to the next light. now the gas station is across the st, i got it to the pump and it died. would not re fire at all. i had a 34 gal tank in that truck, it took 35 to fill it, talk about getting off the hwy at the right time.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My in-laws have step driveway and while dropping something off I backed in and was facing nose down. I left it running and came out and it had shut off and the low fuel was on and the needle showed empty. Coasted down to the level and cranked it over and was able to get it started and drove to the nearest gas station without issue. Guess the pump/sender is near the rear?

I can get more fuel into mine when the nose is slightly up and less when down.

OP
OP
itsbo1313

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light comes on when the tank has about 4 gallons left. Sometimes it's clicked off at 19 or 20 gallons but usually 26 to 28 gallons depending on how long the light was on. I would watch it but not worry about it. Could have been a build up of fumes that hadn't purged in time or something like that. One time the pump was clicking incessantly, moved to another pump and same thing. Drove across the street and pumped normal. It's not always our vehicles... I think! LOL

So I just got back from Central Cali after only getting 19.8 in to an indicated empty tank and the gauge shows a hair over half a tank and the dic shows 290 miles of range left and 15 gallons used, so I guess the light came early because I ran it so low on the previous tank? I'm curious to see how many gallons I get at my next fill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo