2/4 Lowering kit help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
I've been mulling around the idea of lowering my Tahoe finally. I have decided that a 2/3-4 drop is where I would want to go.

I have a couple of questions though - which type of kit should I go with? From what I've seen via searching it seems that the McGaughy's kit is the preferred kit.

Doing a quick search I found a price list on McGaughy's site and saw they offered 2/3 kit with or without shock extenders. I've seen these talked about but don't really know the advantages of having them or not. I assume it is for the ride softness but I would like to be educated on their purpose.

I've also seen mention in various places for helper bags with drop kits. Would I need these for a 2/3-4 drop?

Last question is what would I be looking at as far as cost for something like this and how difficult is it to put in/would I be able to install it on my own? I don't have a ton of cash so I wanted to know up front what I'm getting into so I can make sure I have enough to do this.

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheapest way to do it is with springs and shock relocators in the rear and keys in the front. It should take about 4 hrs tops to do with basic tools and I've seen a few kits like this for $200-250. You can go with spindles in the front instead of keys and lowering shocks instead of the shock relocators in the rear and this will bump you into the $400+ range depending. This is the best route IMO.
I just lowered a co-workers Z71 with keys I got from Max and a set of lowering rear coils and lowering shocks I got from members here, paid about $200 for everything and it came out looking and aligning really good. Took me the better part of 3 hrs to do.

I'm willing to give you a hand with the install if you decide to do it.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
I've got a set of McGauhy's 5" coils I don't need anymore since I bagged my truck.... Hit me up if your interested....

I think I paid $350 for my deluxe kit spindles, keys, springs, axle relocators, and end links and another $100 for drop shocks... It took me and my brother in law 5-6hrs to do the install but we took our sweet ass time.....

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i would just do

djm front springs
rear djm 3 inch springs
rear shock extenders

That would be the cheapest and I just did one on a customers truck over the weekend. Hes 72 years old and loves the ride. You can email him at [email protected] if you want and he will tell you the same. Most of my newer tahoe customers are older and they care more about ride quality and he is very happy with that set up above. He was also on a budget and wanted a different spring rate because stock was to spongy for him.

07 up is differnet front set up then 00-06 so you have no keys in front

Last edited:
OP
OP
Effeckt

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

Cheapest way to do it is with springs and shock relocators in the rear and keys in the front. It should take about 4 hrs tops to do with basic tools and I've seen a few kits like this for $200-250. You can go with spindles in the front instead of keys and lowering shocks instead of the shock relocators in the rear and this will bump you into the $400+ range depending. This is the best route IMO.
I just lowered a co-workers Z71 with keys I got from Max and a set of lowering rear coils and lowering shocks I got from members here, paid about $200 for everything and it came out looking and aligning really good. Took me the better part of 3 hrs to do.

I'm willing to give you a hand with the install if you decide to do it.

Thanks for your input and offer to help Jerry. I will definitely hit you up if and when I end up going for it. I obviously like the price range of the first option but I'm sure I will like the ride much more of the second. I'm looking for future obviously so I know how much money I'll need so it gives me a good benchmark to shoot for before I go looking into pulling the trigger.

gettinbigger08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jerry, can you PM me your email and phone number? I'm in PHX and could use your help with an install as well if you don't mind!

Thanks
Jason

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ian, the kit Tony is mentioning is a great kit as well, being a vendor, you have easy access to get ahold of him for questions :)

Mine is 2/3 dropped as well.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Thinl Chis made a Typo, guess he meant 00-06 is a NBS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076