1999 Yukon SLT 4 door water leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maXjr99Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is the second time this has happened since September. When it rains the carpet on the front passenger side gets wet. It is raining like crazy at the OBX today. I went out this morning and found a drip that is apparently falling on the fan blower housing and dripping on the floor. Is there a drain tube or something in the wiper area that could be stopped up?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic cowl trim piece (that goes under the wiper arms) is attached with self tapping screws. One of them goes straight into the blower intake and is a common leak point. It’s been a while, but it’s either the screw on the smaller end piece or the screw on the end of the long piece next to it.

If you pull the blower and put a mirror in there you can see it sticking through.

Pull the cowl screws on the passenger side, goop the holes with silicone or RTV and reinstall.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so........there should be a drain in the air inlet box under the trim by the wipers. I know from past experience, that the air inlet can get all kinds or fine particles that fall inside. The trim should just pop off, or it's held on by a couple small screws. Have a gander.

OP
OP
maXjr99Yukon

maXjr99Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. When it stops raining I will do as you all have suggested.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try to check and see if you might have a windshield leak as well. I saw a video online where the guy taped the body vents shut, (the ones on back corners, in the rear D- pillars) and turned the AC on high, but NOT on recirculate. That created a positive air pressure inside the passenger compartment. Then he sprayed soapy water all around the windshield seal, just like you would check for a leak in a tire. He actually found a leaking mirror gasket on the driver's door as well, because it was bubbling up the soapy water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maXjr99Yukon

maXjr99Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think so........there should be a drain in the air inlet box under the trim by the wipers. I know from past experience, that the air inlet can get all kinds or fine particles that fall inside. The trim should just pop off, or it's held on by a couple small screws. Have a gander.
I found it behind the coolest reservoir tank. I pulled it, It was clear no blockage.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had water fry out my blower motor, after heavy snow melted down into the duct. I also had water soaking the passenger footwell carpet. I pulled the plastic cowl at the wiper arms. It ended up being cracked sealant around a blanking cover, under the plastic cowl. The cover is directly above the blower motor duct. I resealed with silicone around the cover, and it fixed the leak. Cover is on the left in the picture.

IMG_1284.jpeg

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had water fry out my blower motor, after heavy snow melted down into the duct. I also had water soaking the passenger footwell carpet. I pulled the plastic cowl at the wiper arms. It ended up being cracked sealant around a blanking cover, under the plastic cowl. The cover is directly above the blower motor duct. I resealed with silicone around the cover, and it fixed the leak. Cover is on the left in the picture.

View attachment 415764
I'm dealing with this on my '96 Burb right now, as I just put it back on the road for winter last week. I have a spare blower motor from an old '98 we used to own years ago. Likely tackle the blower motor replacement this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts