1999 Yukon front left clunk sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Well I have this knocking or clunking sound from the left front. It will make the sound when hitting a certain type of bump at speed AND even at idle speed as I go down my drive way slowly and the vehicle torques over the curb. No sensation in the steering wheel. At first I thought it was coming from the front roof but I have no idea. I considered the steering column but I cannot feel it in the steering wheel. Sure would like to find out what this is.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely the ball joints. Try doing a full inspection of frontend, not just one piece. If over 80000 miles, consider changing all wear parts.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the bushings at your Upper Control Arms too. I had mine replaced years ago with Energy Suspension PolyUrethane bushings. They ate themselves until they were crumbling. I got Upper Control arms with rubber bushings already installed for less $ than new bushings. I would get a heavy clunk from the front end, when slowly turning left into my drive way. It also wore a spot at my inner tires. Post up pics of what you find.B627C725-1301-4F88-8C68-8DCFF260C532.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys. Here is what I have done about 3500 miles ago. The entire front end linkage with the exception of the lower control arms. The noise wasnt there prior to new items . I can't get it to repeat the sound when on jacks. It isn't quite a clunk. Sometimes it sounds like torque cracking sound on something and a plastic clunk if that makes sense. It is a sharp clunkity clunk with a vibrative sound. But I can't feel it in the cab. No indication at all, just the sound.

I heard it could be calipers if they have become gummy. I replaced the front brakes as well and they may been a little gummy and slow to react. Maybe I will spray some liquid wrench in the upper control arm bushing first and see if there is a difference as well. They are relatively new.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your shocks attachments are tight. I have had fasteners at the front top shock attachment back off, causing a clunk before. Also check to see if your sway bar bushings are greaseable. I have also seen where the sway bar end link bolts are put in upside down and can contact the upper control arm. Basically check and double check everything you had replaced 3500 miles ago.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK well it needs to get inline. I am currently replacing the Castech heads on my wifes 2003 tahoe. Not even half way there yet. Thank you for any and all input.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK well it needs to get inline. I am currently replacing the Castech heads on my wifes 2003 tahoe. Not even half way there yet. Thank you for any and all input.
Ok good luck. Post up when you get the ‘99 dialed in.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common things are upper control arm bushings or the upper control arm bolts loose. Also common to break front stabilizer links or the bushings on them fall apart. Check lower ball joints with a jack under the lower control arm outboard and use a block of wood and prybar to pry wheel upwards and look for play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts